Worried..need advice!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtyler22

5 Year Member
Hi all, I have a 6 year old male Sulcata. I have had this guy since he was a tiny hatchling. He has always been extremely healthy and has a voracious appetite, chases me around looking for food. He has one other sulcata as a companion, a huge yard, heated house. He gets fed various greens, optunia cactus pads, roses, grass, etc. His shell is good, no respiratory problems ever.
Suddenly a few days he was not interested in eating much, walked away from the food. He is moving very slowly, almost seems disoriented. He ate a little romaine today and sat in the sun. None of his usual charging around. Something is really not right. Any ideas?
Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where do you live? The weather has taken a sharp turn toward fall here in Southern CA. Cooler temps could certainly slow him down like that. Have you tried a long warm water soak? He might be constipated. Is it possible he ate something he shouldn't have? My sulcatas have sampled all sorts of "bad" plants in the past. Do they have access to any plants that you aren't sure of in their yard?

Is his "companion" another male? Mine got along just fine for about 9 years and then WHAM! One day they didn't get a long anymore. Sounds like he might be worried/stressed about the other one, even if you are not seeing overt, obvious aggression.

Anyhow, those are some possibilities to consider.

... and... Hello and welcome to the forum.

jtyler22

5 Year Member
Hi Tom, I am in So Calif also and I agree it has gotten a bit colder suddenly. I am sure that is not it though. He is very lethargic and walking as if he is weak or drugged. And he has never ever walked away from food before. His companion is a female and she is acting 100% normal. The only thing I can think is he must have eaten something, either toxic or have an obstruction from something. I have no idea what. The only things different they have had recently is some timothy hay I just bought last week and some pumpkin. But the female ate it all too and is fine. I have not tried the soak yet, will do that. Thanks!

quote='Tom' pid='171055' dateline='1286334001']
Where do you live? The weather has taken a sharp turn toward fall here in Southern CA. Cooler temps could certainly slow him down like that. Have you tried a long warm water soak? He might be constipated. Is it possible he ate something he shouldn't have? My sulcatas have sampled all sorts of "bad" plants in the past. Do they have access to any plants that you aren't sure of in their yard?

Is his "companion" another male? Mine got along just fine for about 9 years and then WHAM! One day they didn't get a long anymore. Sounds like he might be worried/stressed about the other one, even if you are not seeing overt, obvious aggression.

Anyhow, those are some possibilities to consider.

... and... Hello and welcome to the forum.
[/quote]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi JTyler22:

Welcome to the forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.