Worried new mom here!

margosha

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, OH
Hi everyone! I’ve posted a few times on this site already, but it looks like I’ll be sticking around, so I wanted to properly introduce myself and my little Russian Tortoise! My name is Margo and I'm a (very) new tort mom... and I'm freaking out about it a little.

So, everyone from my roommate to people on this site have told me I am worrying too much about him, but I got my RT from Tortoise Town and have just learned about their bad reputation, so now I’m even more worried!

I got him a month ago and TT claimed he was 6 mo, but he only weighs 28g, so I’m pretty sure he’s much younger. And after reading some people’s horror stories about ordering from them, I’m panicking! (And also I feel dumb for not doing better research).

Thanks to the wonderful people on this site and all their advice, I’m trying to do everything I can to make his life the best it can be (temps, humidity, diet, etc), but I’m worried about his origins and if he has any irreversible damage because of them.

I’m putting up some pictures and would really appreciate any opinions on his physical condition... since this is my first tortoise, I’m not even sure if I’d know if anything looked off.

Any other advice is also always greatly appreciated.

Also if you’re even still reading this far in, you’re amazing and this panicked first-time mommy is super, super grateful!

First Day Home:

IMG_6968.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Today:

IMG_7083.jpg

The Tiniest of High-Fives :<3:

IMG_7082.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
Welcome and breathe. Does he eat, poop daily, soak? If so congrats. 28 grams sounds small but I keep red foots which are larger so don’t listen to me. Except if that’s sand remove now! It’s an impaction risk. My RF went a week without eating when he first came home but if he’s acting healthy and young you’re fine.

I_love_tortoises

Florida
Hi! I am also a new tortoise mom so I feel your struggle. Your Russian tortoise looks healthy. But I agree with you I don’t think he is 6 months. Welcome to the world of tortoise![emoji16][emoji16]

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hello Margo, I don't have a RT so any advice or recommendations I will save for those who are more knowledgeable. I have a sulcata, and it seems like everyday I learn something new through this forum on care for him. I just wanted to say welcome, and you have a cute little guy there.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
Thanks everyone! Trying to breath, but every little thing he does I'm like :eek: "is that normal??!" haha.

He seems to be acting like a tortoise should, but he does sleep A TON...especially after eating. It seems like all he does is eat and sleep... which is good for a human baby, but Idk if the same applies for torts! He will have spurts of activity though... I've even found him on his back because he got too adventurous on his half-log (which I've since removed). But when that happened, it of course freaked me out and I instantly logged on here and searched for "tortoise on back" haha.

I've definitely been learning a lot thanks to this forum. It's seriously a saving grace from all the misinformation Google will bring! And I really adore how much everyone cares for their (and others') torts on here! It's so heartwarming!

margosha

Cleveland, OH
Welcome and breathe. Does he eat, poop daily, soak? If so congrats. 28 grams sounds small but I keep red foots which are larger so don’t listen to me. Except if that’s sand remove now! It’s an impaction risk. My RF went a week without eating when he first came home but if he’s acting healthy and young you’re fine.

Definitely not sand! It's baby-friendly coco coir :)

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I hatched 49 Russian hatchlings last year. The smallest weighed 11 grams and the biggest weighed 25 grams. The smaller the egg, the smaller the tortoise is when it hatches. So my hatchling that weighed 11 grams at 6 months of course is a lot smaller than the one that weighed 25 grams when it hatched, and looks younger size-wise. Some of my females always lay very small eggs and others lay very large eggs. Your baby Russian looks great and it sounds like he/she is healthy. My guess would be he/she was small when it hatched.

margosha

Cleveland, OH
I hatched 49 Russian hatchlings last year. The smallest weighed 11 grams and the biggest weighed 25 grams. The smaller the egg, the smaller the tortoise is when it hatches. So my hatchling that weighed 11 grams at 6 months of course is a lot smaller than the one that weighed 25 grams when it hatched, and looks younger size-wise. Some of my females always lay very small eggs and others lay very large eggs. Your baby Russian looks great and it sounds like he/she is healthy. My guess would be he/she was small when it hatched.

Thanks for your response! I weighed him (or her) yesterday, and he's gained a gram! I was so proud haha.

I'm still a little worried about his sleeping habits though. Is it normal for babies to sleep pretty much all day?

daniellenc

Maryland
Thanks for your response! I weighed him (or her) yesterday, and he's gained a gram! I was so proud haha.

I'm still a little worried about his sleeping habits though. Is it normal for babies to sleep pretty much all day?
Yep especially when they’re settling in. Think of a newborns sleep habits compared to a toddler.