Worried of my tortoise behaviour

Bosire

Hey guys, I I've had mauwy for a month now, he is two months old. My issue is his behaviour has changed. I noticed after a day I put him in his water bowl and he almost drowned after flipping over, he eats very little. And now it's been three weeks, at times he is all ok but the next minute he behaves like he is cloaking and makes sneezing like noises in the process, is this normal or what can I do to help him?

Bosire

Hey guys, I I've had mauwy for a month now, he is two months old. My issue is his behaviour has changed. I noticed after a day I put him in his water bowl and he almost drowned after flipping over, he eats very little. And now it's been three weeks, at times he is all ok but the next minute he behaves like he is cloaking and makes sneezing like noises in the process, is this normal or what can I do to help him?
*chocking not cloaking

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Sounds like respiratory infection from aspirating the water when he flipped. Increase heat so that all cooler areas in enclosure are at least 85f at all times. Day and night. Set up a closed chamber if you haven't already. They are great ways to control a steady temp and humidity. These thermometer /hygrometer s are best for these enclosures. Normally I would say to keep humidity up above 80%(normal baby tort care) but I think his lungs would dry out better if he wasn't breathing moist air. Don't let him get cold(no floor time, keep bath water 95f, less handling, ect). Do you know what caused him to flip in the water? Normally this doesn't happen in a normal type dish pan...a vet appointment may be in order.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 9

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Bosire .

Please post pics of your tort and his/her enclosure and read the so-called "Beginners Mistakes Thread."

Ask ANY question: we're here to help.

Bosire

Thank
Sounds like respiratory infection from aspirating the water when he flipped. Increase heat so that all cooler areas in enclosure are at least 85f at all times. Day and night. Set up a closed chamber if you haven't already. They are great ways to control a steady temp and humidity. These thermometer /hygrometer s are best for these enclosures. Normally I would say to keep humidity up above 80%(normal baby tort care) but I think his lungs would dry out better if he wasn't breathing moist air. Don't let him get cold(no floor time, keep bath water 95f, less handling, ect). Do you know what caused him to flip in the water? Normally this doesn't happen in a normal type dish pan...a vet appointment may be in order.
Thank You.. The dish had steep edges but I changed to a more shallow one which he is able to get off easily... I'll do my best to keep him warm though it is very cold here for this time of the year

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

We put lights and heat emitters over our babies in cold weather.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Thank
Thank You.. The dish had steep edges but I changed to a more shallow one which he is able to get off easily... I'll do my best to keep him warm though it is very cold here for this time of the year
The temperature inside a fish tank would be easier to maintain than a whole room.