Worried over my sad, weak redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

maladroit.au.soleil

5 Year Member
I'm concerned about my redfoot. I've had him since May and he's been going through phases of really active and then really quiet. Recently, he's hardly moving around and when he does, he seems to slide, rather than actually walk. I don't know whether his legs are weak or something, but coupled with the fact he has no eagerness to move, I'm really worried.
He totally runs when he's outside, but it won't stop raining here and I'm sure if the rest of britain is cold, so is he.
Any thoughts?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
When he's outside and "...totally runs..." is he also sliding at that time? When tortoises can't raise up on their legs and walk normally, it sometimes means they are calcium poor and don't have the strength in their legs to hold them up.

Just remember: Calcium requires either the sun or an expensive UVB light to provide the vitaminD. Calcium doesn't work without vitaminD.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Ditto Yvonne.

Can you tell us more about his cares and diet?

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Are you 100% sure it's a male? Do you have any other tortoises in there with him?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
turtlelady80 said:
Are you 100% sure it's a male? Do you have any other tortoises in there with him?

Out of curiosity- why would that first part make a difference?

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Well I have read that female torts that are egg bound can lose function in their back legs. It just can get extremely uncomfortable. I guess it was a long shot by asking just thought maybe....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'm sure if the rest of britain is cold, so is he.

If he has an indoor enclosure...he should never know it is cold outside of that enclosure....please share what your current temps are for your enclosure---what is the temp at the hot/basking side --the middle of the enclosure and then the cooler side (albeit, you should not have a big difference due to the species likes warm for the most part) what is your humidity at and what is your night heat source?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
turtlelady80 said:
Well I have read that female torts that are egg bound can lose function in their back legs. It just can get extremely uncomfortable. I guess it was a long shot by asking just thought maybe....

Ah- perfectly logical. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.