Worrying again. Is it the enclosure or the tortoise?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
My adult leopard tortoises moved outside for the summer about a month ago. My male, Mort is doing well after what I consider a slow adjustment. He is grazing and going to his water. My female, Scarlett will not leave the box. They're in separate enclosures with a divided box they share. Mort's enclosure is better, but Scarlett's is pretty nice, I think.
This is the box. Mort's door is on the left of the box. This is Scarlett's door.
IMG_20150610_185553.jpg
This area is about 6'X15'. Then the L area over here is 11'X18'ish. IMG_20150610_185609.jpgThere is a soaking pool, heavy vegetation, a couple of bushes, a hobbit style hide, and both corners are shaded.
IMG_20150610_185629.jpg
IMG_20150610_185646.jpg
IMG_20150610_185734.jpg
Am I missing something? I cut food and put in the box for her, because she doesn't eat if I don't. The box is getting hot in the afternoon. The hide is much cooler. She drinks like crazy when I soak her, so I know she is sitting in there hot and thirsty, but won't come out and drink. I take her out of the box once or twice a day, and put her in pool or in the hide. She goes right back into the box within half an hour.
Thoughts appreciated. I don't know anything about her background. Maybe she has never been outside?
One more of her in the box.
IMG_20150610_193235.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leoparrs won't go outside their shed enclosure so I put them out and I shut their door so they can't go back in until I want them too. The yard looks good I would seperate them in the hide if they are together. Otherwise just Her out and shut the door until you want them back in

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It is divided. They're completely separate attached enclosures. I have thought about that, but it makes me sad to think she is scared.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Although I've never experienced this behavior, I was going to suggest the same thing as Barb. Close the door to keep her out. She'll find a new comfortable hiding spot and eventually (how long has she been outside?) she'll be comfortable in her home.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Although I've never experienced this behavior, I was going to suggest the same thing as Barb. Close the door to keep her out. She'll find a new comfortable hiding spot and eventually (how long has she been outside?) she'll be comfortable in her home.
It has been a month now, and the weather has been great.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Well, a month isn't that long. I think that could still fall into the "new and uncomfortable" time frame.

See what other suggestions people have for you but I still vote for the tough love/closed door ;)

Let us know how she does :tort:

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Why do you think Mort's side is better? This has got to have you worried, have you tried swapping sides with them? If temps and everything look good, I wonder if that would do something... I know I am reaching but her side looks good, and maybe locking her out would do it (I can totally see why you are hesitant though!)

Sorry to have no real answers. :(

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Why do you think Mort's side is better? This has got to have you worried, have you tried swapping sides with them? If temps and everything look good, I wonder if that would do something... I know I am reaching but her side looks good, and maybe locking her out would do it (I can totally see why you are hesitant though!)

Sorry to have no real answers. :(
I had Mort 1st and didn't plan for more. His is bigger with mature plants. It has been his for a couple of years. He doesn't adjust well either, and don't need 2 stressed out tortoises lol. I think I will try the tough love in small doses unless someone thinks that could be harmful.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am very jealous of how lush your tortoise pen is. I would love to be able to get good tortoise food growing that dense during the summer here.

Her behavior could be a lot of things. Without any sort of history on her, it seems like she might have been confined to small spaces her entire life and has not really developed an interest in grazing or exploring.

Some tortoises just aren't as active as others.

In my experiences, adult tortoises take a lot longer to adjust to new environments than younger tortoises. This could simply be temporary behavior until she is more comfortable.

Some of it could be your enclosure. Although it's nice and lush, it may not be ideal for grazing or exploring with the weeds and grass being so tall. I have some leopards that would mow down those plants no matter what size, and I have others that will only graze on low trimmed grasses and weeds. I suggest trimming a portion of your enclosure down low so she can graze on it easily.

What are your day and night time temperatures?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That makes sense. Part of it is bare and part of it is lawn though. We have had highs in the 90's for several days, but normally highs in 80's. It gets cold, 50, at night, but the box maintains 80 on the floor. The box gets into the 90's the last couple of days.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
This sounds very harsh but don't bring the food to her. And or lock her out of the box. Maybe that will make her have to go out and explore a little.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I had Mort 1st and didn't plan for more. His is bigger with mature plants. It has been his for a couple of years. He doesn't adjust well either, and don't need 2 stressed out tortoises lol. I think I will try the tough love in small doses unless someone thinks that could be harmful.

I don't know why but I thought they just had been put out a month ago. Sorry about that Jodie!! And yes, let's not cause them both to need therapy...lol Let us know how it goes with the tough love today. I think that is always harder on us then them sometimes.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
This sounds very harsh but don't bring the food to her. And or lock her out of the box. Maybe that will make her have to go out and explore a little.

I also wonder if you should place a few of her favorite foods (treats) around her pen so she can find them as she explores during her tough love session (so she can associate her outside pen as a good thing.)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I don't know why but I thought they just had been put out a month ago. Sorry about that Jodie!! And yes, let's not cause them both to need therapy...lol Let us know how it goes with the tough love today. I think that is always harder on us then them sometimes.
They were just put out a month ago. I am in Spokane WA, so they have indoor enclosures for winter. Mort has been going outside to his enclosure, just during the day, for the last couple of years though. I just got Scarlett last fall. Sorry I confused things.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I can't. I tried just putting the food right outside the door, but she didn't eat for a couple of days. I put her out one day and picked food to hand feed her. She ate like she was starving from my hand, but only from my hand. She is spoiled, I know. Since I don't know her history though I worry what kind of things she has endured in the past, and can't be mean. I am going to start locking her out in the afternoon and try to spend some time with her.