Worrying again. Is it the enclosure or the tortoise?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
What was Scarlett's history before you got her? How much outside time did she have previously?
I have no info. All I know is her owner passed last summer and her sister dumped all of her tortoises at a local pet store. I was told the previous owner had her for 15 years so assume she is at least 16 now.
I tried to get in touch with the sister, but she wasn't interested. I have one of her Russians too. She seems to be doing fine outside. She is also a fully mature adult.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The tortoise must be just feeling out of sorts because it is unfamiliar territory. I would bring her out in the open late morning and just leave her be. Eventually she will warm up and move around. In time the tortoise will realize that this is now home and that there are no tortoise eating monsters lurking about. I would allow her to go back in her box at will, but do make her come out and see the new world too.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Yeah, patience, my favorite thing. I feel so bad for her. Its a nice box, but can't imagine being cooped up in it. I am sure she will come around n adjust. Hopefully before summer is over. Lol

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Are some of the plants out there things that she really really likes to eat? Maybe take her to her favorite type of plant and hand feed her a couple pieces and see if she'll figure it out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would also keep the grass and weeds cut. I was told a few years back from Yvonne that once grasses and weeds get over grown, they can become bitter and not wanted by the torts. I see this in my own. If their yard is too tall of weeds and grass, they don't graze as much. Also, they tend to hide more, becuase there are more places to hide without walking around looking for them. Also, don't forget, in the hottest part of the day, they would seek shelter and shade in the wild and wait it out until it was later in the day and a bit cooler. Mine are not roaming around at those times either. My bigger female I just got last fall. She is still the shy one. My other female I had longer, but was rehabbed by me cuz she was stuck in a small tank most of her life. She loves the outdoors and now that she can walk, she loves doing it. I still have to kick her out in the morning though too, as they all will still stay inside for the majority of the day if I didnt. Give her some time to adjust and get used to the routine.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Do you watch her when she's out? Or do you leave her to it? Big humans watching can be intimidating and tortoises very, very slow on the uptake about what is and isn't safe.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Do you watch her when she's out? Or do you leave her to it? Big humans watching can be intimidating and tortoises very, very slow on the uptake about what is and isn't safe.
I leave her be after setting her out.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I think I would try the Toughlove method, especially when you're around. You can sit on your deck and just watch what she does.
She came out briefly on her own today. I think she will adjust in her own time. She is eating and pooping so...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree that of she is eating and pooping, things are going the right way. She will gradually become less timid and explore... especially if food is pnly available outside the indoor accommodation! Tortoises can be very slow onnthe uptake when it comes to change. Some take months rather than weeks or days to get used to a new situation. :)

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
She came out briefly on her own today. I think she will adjust in her own time. She is eating and pooping so...

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Were you covering your mouth so you wouldn't "WHOOP!" and scare her?! Dancing in the isles? (I would have been...lol)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It is a surprise to walk in there n see her out. I kinda freeze n just back out. She knows me well though n I know she is not afraid of me. Outside though it is like she doesn't want to be caught softening her resolve to not like this enclosure. She must remain firm in her fit.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
It is a surprise to walk in there n see her out. I kinda freeze n just back out. She knows me well though n I know she is not afraid of me. Outside though it is like she doesn't want to be caught softening her resolve to not like this enclosure. She must remain firm in her fit.

FOR GAWD'S SAKE DON'T LET HER SEE THAT YOU SEE HER OUT. You're gonna blow it....LOL Let her think she is making the calls!! ;)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
FOR GAWD'S SAKE DON'T LET HER SEE THAT YOU SEE HER OUT. You're gonna blow it....LOL Let her think she is making the calls!! ;)
Lol. She knows she makes the calls. One of the advantages of being a tortoise. No One can make you do anything.