Would anyone use and contribute to an opensourced "Tortoise table" like database

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Not yet public, but we have a name "Turtle Pantry", we have a domain, our infrastructure is in place, we have a site design (unless someone wants to come and build a better design, this will suffice), and the backend code is being written. and I think we can launch by end of year easily.

Right now I need feature suggestions, and some volunteers (with appropriate experience) willing to help build the initial database during the soft launch (soft launch being password protected site until the DB is big enough to be usable).

Submissions can be submitted anonymously, or by a registered user. No submission will be publicly available until approved by a trusted user (unless submitted by a trusted user) to help ensure that accurate information is published.

Done:
Infrastructure
Logo design
Website design

Current Task:
Authentication/Login system

Future Tasks:
Food item tables (database parts) design
Search and browse feature
3rd party security review

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-11-20 06-01-03.png
    Screenshot from 2022-11-20 06-01-03.png
    390.1 KB · Views: 7

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I'm no help as a newbie, but I sure would love to have something better then the tortoise table. Half the time things I put in there are not found.
Out of curiosity have you ever sought an inclusion to TTT and if so what response did you get? There are 1,000's of plants, I don't think any would be 'complete'.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Out of curiosity have you ever sought an inclusion to TTT and if so what response did you get? There are 1,000's of plants, I don't think any would be 'complete'.
I couldn't find a way to submit anything, but the site is nearly unusable, completely unusable in recent weeks. I also can't find anything native local to me in their database.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
I'd love to see a field that shows species difference where applicable (like fruit is ok for X, Y, Z, but not A, B, C)
Yep, grabbed a few ppl that know better than I, and a couple other techies. This is getting done

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm happy to update our own thread shown here:

I can even put it in alpha order or fix it any way you prefer

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC

Unfortunately I have to be mindful of copyright and licensing.

Anyhow, we are nearing release, need to finish the contribution system this weekend.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH

I'm working on a "commercial foods" section while Jon preps the plant stuff. I have quite a list of manufacturers going, but if you know of any off-brands (especially foreign brands), your input would be greatly appreciated!

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Where we are now:
@Tim Carlisle and @turtlesteve have been immensely helpful. @Kapidolo Farms and @Tom have given us advice that we are taking to heart.

I believe we are 90%+ the way to making it public, but even after then we have a lot of "wants" to add.

Right now we have over 353268 unique plant species added, and 11735 that are assumed safe (I need to sync with the actual experts on my assumptions here. You can browse the plants.

What we are missing:
Non plant food sources
Species/group diet recommendations
expanded details on plans
login system is incomplete
search system is incomplete
browsing filter system is incomplete
contribution system is incomplete
missing photos that we can use
missing most common names

This holiday/weekend i plan to:
Finish the search functionality
Finish the login system
Finish browsing filter system
Import 30,000 common names I have collected
Clean up visual aspects
Finish the contribution system
Eat some smoked turtky

What I could really use help on:
Photos, I need photos that either have a license that would allow their use by me, or that you would be willing to give me copyright to or that you will license to me for no cost.

When do we go public:
I hope to go public by the end of the year

Costs:
Current costs are $350 a year, unless costs dramatically increase, I can handle this myself.. At this time I do not plan to add any advertising outside of linking to retailers whom I trust that sell the food item you are viewing.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-11-23 18-32-27.png
    Screenshot from 2022-11-23 18-32-27.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 6

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Where we are now:
@Tim Carlisle and @turtlesteve have been immensely helpful. @Kapidolo Farms and @Tom have given us advice that we are taking to heart.

I believe we are 90%+ the way to making it public, but even after then we have a lot of "wants" to add.

Right now we have over 353268 unique plant species added, and 11735 that are assumed safe (I need to sync with the actual experts on my assumptions here. You can browse the plants.

What we are missing:
Non plant food sources
Species/group diet recommendations
expanded details on plans
login system is incomplete
search system is incomplete
browsing filter system is incomplete
contribution system is incomplete
missing photos that we can use
missing most common names

This holiday/weekend i plan to:
Finish the search functionality
Finish the login system
Finish browsing filter system
Import 30,000 common names I have collected
Clean up visual aspects
Finish the contribution system
Eat some smoked turtky

What I could really use help on:
Photos, I need photos that either have a license that would allow their use by me, or that you would be willing to give me copyright to or that you will license to me for no cost.

When do we go public:
I hope to go public by the end of the year

Costs:
Current costs are $350 a year, unless costs dramatically increase, I can handle this myself.. At this time I do not plan to add any advertising outside of linking to retailers whom I trust that sell the food item you are viewing.

You’ve been quite busy. I’m quite curious where all of the info/data is coming from for all of these plants?

➡️➡️ Right now we have over 353268 unique plant species added,

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
You’ve been quite busy. I’m quite curious where all of the info/data is coming from for all of these plants?

Public databases (USDA, et al)

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC

Tim and I (mostly Tim) dug up a bunch of publicly acessible databases with licenses friendly to our needs.

I wrote some tools to convert it to the format we needed and imported them.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
I would be very interested in using this, but I have absolutely no skills in building this. What I do have, and I would be happy to contribute, is some funding. If it took buying some proprietary photos or some funding for some information, I’d be happy to contribute financially. Shoot me a private message if you’re interested in looking into that and let me know.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
I would be very interested in using this, but I have absolutely no skills in building this. What I do have, and I would be happy to contribute, is some funding. If it took buying some proprietary photos or some funding for some information, I’d be happy to contribute financially. Shoot me a private message if you’re interested in looking into that and let me know.
I appreciate the offer, but I have the funding handled.

The biggest help will be people filling in missing information. The initial entries are bare bone.