Would like to ask for pictures for son' project.

Longtabl

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
My son (who owns a Russian tort with me) is doing a project for school on Galapagos Tortoises. He is making an eBook titled "Galapatank" about a fictional baby Galapagos tortoise that grows up at a conservation station. His project has to tell about an endangerd species, habitat, diet, etc and my Tortoise loving son immediately chose Galapagos as his animal to research. (I am also looking at places here around Dallas that I can go photograph some. I know where several heards of Aldabra are but no Galapagos). He has finished his research and is finishing his 25 page children' book. What he asked me for were pictures of babies, hatching out, walking around, and any other photos of up to about 70 years old torts. The story is from Galapatank' perspective.

Rather than grabbing pictures (most of which are copyrighted) I wanted to know if any members here would be willing to share some photos of their babies / adults. Full photo credits will be included with each picture, possibly mixed in with some hand/computer drawings he has done. This is for a 4th grade school project (Other options were write a play, or song. I'm glad he chose write a book!)

Feel free to contact me directly if you have some pictures you would be willing to share.

Thanks!
Lisa T.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I know for a fact that the Dallas Zoo has Galaps! Good luck on your quest!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I sure wish I had some of these magnificent tortoises to take pictures of. Good luck.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I have some photo's of Wayne Hill's galapagos hatchlings that were at the Daytona NRBE last year.

Longtabl

Texas
Dallas Zoo has Galapagos, but they were not on exhibit when we went. Only the Aldabras. If it isn't raining (still) this weekend we will try again. It is pictures of hatchlings and babies especially that my son wants.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@N2TORTS has a young Galop. He might be willing to share some of his baby pics with you. Also a member from Florida that has Aldabra's I think also has Galops. I can't remember his forum name, but his real name I believe is Joe. @ALDABRAMAN knows him and can verify if he does have Galops and his forum name and maybe will drop him an alert or email for you

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Lisa , I'd be more than happy to help with your sons project and some pictures. You can contact me with your email so I may send you pictures.
The San Diego Zoo ....always has mature Galaps on display , it is one of the best herpetology centers/zoos in the world.:) as well as one of the top breeding facilities for them. St. Louis zoo would be next on the list for Galaps.

Longtabl

Texas
THANKS EVERYONE! He finished his project tonight, after working all weekend and today after school. I can't sell or widely distribute the book since some of the photos were "fair use" license, but I will send a link to everyone who helped. Liam is grinning from ear to ear, and you should hear him asking for one of the giants now...(He got to play with a friend's Sulcata Saturday and went "my life is complete"). Galapatank's story is ready to go. He is currently coloring in the cover art so I can scan it and load it into Blurb.