Would they attack us?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
I greatly admire these fabulous creatures, but know very little about them, and was wondering if they could be dangerously aggressive, for example, mating males, towards humans or other animals? Are there any documented cases of attacks on humans by large tortoises? Just curious.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, Aldabraman has pictures of his wife being snuggled, kinda, but one of his giant males. You can tell he's very gentle around her. However, I'm sure if you got in between two giant males fighting you would/could get hurt, but really, I don't think any tortoise can out run a human.
As for hurting other animals, the other animals shouldn't be allowed near the tortoises, at least not without 1000% supervision.
@ALDABRAMAN have you ever had one of yours look like they wanted to charge/hurt you or your dogs?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Aldabras don't appear to be as aggressive as some of the smaller species.

My male Greek weighing 7lb would have no hesitation in ramming me or anyone else and it hurts, a lot, if he catches you in the wrong place. They frequently bite too.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida

~ We have never seen any aggression towards humans, however we have seen some aggressive behaviors involving our mature males. Rarely do they display any aggressiveness towards each other during mating, mainly they have tiffs sometimes and it is difficult to figure out exactly way. For example, this video shows Alfa raising up and getting ready to charge Cowboy when a simply hand movement breaking his eye contact simply caused him to divert his focus and continue eating in a peaceful manner. These full grown males are big, extremely strong and can be very determined at times. no human can over power one of these giants.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
@ALDABRAMAN have you ever had one of yours look like they wanted to charge/hurt you or your dogs?

~ Yes, it is rare, however every creature has bad days. I have never had one simply come after me, however have had a few occasions when they get irritated when i was too close, etc. Every time, once a little distance was achieved the irritation ended.

13413573_255040774857383_2481421181276952013_n.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
WOW....AWESOME. Thank you everyone especially Aldabraman! They are incredible and "warm the cockles of my heart."

I looked on the internet too and saw nothing.

If I could just get an opportunity to touch one of these giants, I would be over the moon. There is something ancient, noble and forever in them!