Would this be suitable for an outdoor enclosure?

M

Maggie Cummings

The pine bark mulch has been removed. It has also been there for over 5 years now. I'm not sure if time helps erode any toxicity or not. I also added about 3 inches of top soil to the enclosure for additional protection and will be adding cypress mulch on top of that.
Probably was not toxic then...

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
While you might be set on a tortoise, might I suggest you look into getting a box turtle or two, or three :) to fill in that area. Boxies love limited sun and adore shade. You can grow all kinds of things in there for them to hide in and you have plenty of room for a water feature they can swim in. Just a thought.

I like that thought ;) The shade would be excellent for them and the afternoon sun would be good to get them ready to hunt at dusk. Boxies are little characters for sure! I'd consider them, even if you don't really want one now I'd look into them, you never know what might come up :)

AMA904

While I sincerely appreciate everyone's input and advice (that's why I ask the questions), it can be slightly overwhelming. That is definitely the area I'm going to use and as I said previously, I've already started the process. I'm going to go back to the drawing board as far as which tortoise to get. That area definitely has sun and definitely has shade. I will have to go out this weekend to see when it gets more of each one. I know for a fact that the evening has more shade and the afternoon has more sun, but I'm not sure about the morning.