Would this work as an outdoor enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Its too small, and has no top. How about something like this, but in a heavily planted, shady area:7907461_orig.jpg

CelticPenguin85

Kissimmee, FL
Its too small, and has no top. How about something like this, but in a heavily planted, shady area:View attachment 294648
Sorry I should have specified. The enclosure is going to be outside on my screened porch so I'm not worried about animals getting in there. I thought 4' diameter would be enough. Unfortunately I live at home and I don't think my mom would be keen on having a huge pen on our porch. I was thinking of putting potted plants inside of it and using a light for heat/UVB.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The minimum size I'd recommend for an animal that size is 4x8, but that is tiny for an outdoor box turtle enclosure.

CelticPenguin85

Kissimmee, FL
The minimum size I'd recommend for an animal that size is 4x8, but that is tiny for an outdoor box turtle enclosure.
Wow that's huge. Everything I read said 3' x 1' or 3' x 2' minimum is enough for one box turtle. Attached are some pictures of my porch. Unfortunately I still live at home and I doubt my mom is going to be too keen on having a huge enclosure out there but I'll do whatever I have to do to take scare of my boy.

I got my box turtle when I live in Pennsylvania and now live in Florida where it can be well over 100 degrees in the afternoon so I don't want the enclosure out in the open. It also rains often and I'm afraid of the enclosure flooding or at the very least the substrate becoming super soggy. I'm also afraid between the screening and orientation of my house, he wouldn't get adequate UVB so I want to keep him in the shaded area with a light plugged in.

I don't know how to build anything so I'd prefer to buy something like a pool or bookshelf that I could fill with substrate. Thank so much for your replies!

Attachments

• 20200517_170433.jpg
    20200517_170433.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20200517_170324.jpg
    20200517_170324.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 20200517_170329.jpg
    20200517_170329.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • 20200517_170436.jpg
    20200517_170436.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Can't help you with placement or any of that, but definitely go bigger like Tom said. 3x2 is tiny for an adult boxie.

I have a tortoise that is only 3 inches tops and he's in a 4x2 and im already planning size upgrades. They need all that room to move to help them digest food.

I know from experience it can be difficult explaining that to family if its not your house, but i would just see if she'd be willing to set aside that space. Maybe if you find something that looks really nice and neat she wouldn't mind as much? That was the key when I lived with my family years ago. As long as it didn't look ugly I had more freedom to do those things my babies needed. Maybe milk the grandturtle aspect? Lol

CelticPenguin85

Kissimmee, FL

Would this work?

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Yes, I use something similar for an indoor enclosure. I found an old wooden bookcase and replaced the thin backing material with treated plywood and caulked the seams. I bought a cheap folding table to get it up off the ground.

CelticPenguin85

Kissimmee, FL
Good to know. Thank you! Is there anything I should know about which materials I can and can't use? I know cedar and pine are bad. Are there chemicals used on wood that I should be wary of?

nicoleann2214

NY
Good to know. Thank you! Is there anything I should know about which materials I can and can't use? I know cedar and pine are bad. Are there chemicals used on wood that I should be wary of?
I’m curious of the same thing (which wood to use) I’m building an outdoor enclosure as well.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
I just used wood from home depot. They used to make treated wood with arsenic but they stopped that awhile ago. Im not sure what they use now but I think its fine as long as they dont eat it. I would call a Vet if you want to know for sure.