Would this work for an outdoor enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't use something like that. I much prefer my tortoises to have real earth, grass and weeds under their feet.

Fujininja

5 Year Member
I wouldn't use something like that. I much prefer my tortoises to have real earth, grass and weeds under their feet.
Ok I was thinking of moving it in and outside and put seeds and things inside of it? I do not have a big lawn and we are renting so I cannot dig holes in the ground to build his enclosure like I wanted to.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, plus that would get really hot. Tall sides like that doesn't allow air flow at tort height

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ok I was thinking of moving it in and outside and put seeds and things inside of it? I do not have a big lawn and we are renting so I cannot dig holes in the ground to build his enclosure like I wanted to.
A kiddy pool would be better then the tall sided box. Also a raised garden bed like below can easily be moved and a piece of fencing can be attached to the bottom so he can't dig out, but weeds or grass can poke through. You can also put more then One together.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Greenes-Fence-48-in-x-48-in-Cedar-Raised-Garden-Bed-RC-4C4/202520884

Fujininja

5 Year Member

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Is that netting over it?

Yes, just to help with the hawks, and peace of mind. The pool is very close to the house and almost under our veranda.
This pool is the small size and it lasted a year for my hatchling tort.
He now tries to climb the side so I had to dig a trench around the edges. The bigger pool would have lasted a lot longer.