Would This Work For an Outdoor Enclosure?

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weather...Cover-Set-for-28-mm-Kennel-CL-00302/205958584

With the weather warming and my baby red foot turning a year old it’s time for me to get serious about an outdoor enclosure. Two problems exist though. I can’t build a thing and have zero desire to learn. I imagine sun could still come in through the sides, rain would be kept out, I could plant lots of ground cover, shade would be provided, it’s huge, and I’d reinforce the sides with cement blocks when he got bigger. Am I missing any red flags?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What about when temps are cold and he gets bigger then just a year old?
At a year, he's really still young for living outside. He'd benefit from an hour or so outside each day but should still live mostly in a closed chamber for at least another year or so.

daniellenc

Maryland
Oh I should have specified. He’ll only be out from 4:30pm until 7:00 pm every evening when temps are over 75. Then brought in, soaked, and fed. He’ll never be out 24 hours until he’s 3-4 years old and never be out in temps under 70 degrees. @wellington im more looking for a sturdy outdoor chamber that requires no building, is safe, escape proof though my yard has a 6ft privacy fence, and will grow with him. Have you seen kennels used or know of some pros and cons? I like I can break it down and move it, add a roof, anchor it to the ground, and it has a door I can padlock. I don’t like it’s kinda ugly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have seen a couple members using them. I don't see or can't think of any reason not too. Be sure to give a hide in it and a low sided water dish and plants to make him feel safe and it should work fine

daniellenc

Maryland
@wellington it will be planted with testudo mix, water bowl will be a large ceramic saucer dug in, planning on planting additional ground cover as well, with a minimum of three hides. Looking into perineal plants that offer good hiding spots and shade if you have any suggestions? Also, wondering if I’ll need a sprinkler system? It’s gets very hot and humid here but for the short time he’ll use it this year thinking hosing it down when he goes in will be adequate.

daniellenc

Maryland
I will use either a chain link top covered 1/3 with garden mesh, or buy some form of roof once I figure out the sun situation. Also considering a 1ft metal panel wall inside the perimeter to block vision but no worries whatever tops it will not allow animals in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For now I would spray it down good just before you put him in. When he gets older and spends the day outside then a sprinkler on a timer would work nice, going off a few times a day when it's really hot.
Hostas make a nice edible plant and hiding coverage.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
I'm also interested in the same thing... I have actually wasted about $300 over the course of the past year trying to build enclosure for my redfoots. Everything I have tried to build I have failed miserably at, I should have just spent money up front to buy something ready made. The poor things ate still in small indoor enclosures. Was trying to save money by diy- lesson learned too late!

I like the kennel you posted because it can be easily predator proofed... I also recently found this, which is something else to consider?

www.homedepot.com/p/Greenes-Fence-4-ft-x-8-ft-x-10-5-in-Dovetail-Cedar-Raised-Garden-Bed-RC6T21B/203477958

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Lot's of members use dog kennels for outdoor tortoise enclosures. They work best when you add 1x12 boards around the inside at the bottom so the tortoise can't see out.

eee74539fa649f7090778fe06b50095c.jpg

927dc3665a71cfc718da91e6ae9f2a85.jpg

1c1185e38493f4c03676499c81b31430.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

Oops! Thought it was cute!!!

daniellenc

Maryland
I have looked into the planters but want the room a kennel provides and think metal will last longer. Now to get my broken old shed out and a kennel in!