Would this work? Hanging light fixture shopping

arami25

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, GA
Hi,

I wanted to purchase the Arcadia T8 12% bulb and I am shopping for hanging light fixtures. I am going to hang it over a 6ft diameter kiddy pool with PVC pipes but before buying something I wanted to ask if either fixture that I found would be safe and work.

#1 IMG_0992.jpg
IMG_0991.jpg

This first one from Lowe’s can have two lights in one fixture BUT the wattage it indicates is 32 W and the only Arcadia light that can fit that size is 36W. Would it still be okay/safe and won’t damage the tube bulb? And should the fixture work if it just had one light?

#2 IMG_0993.jpgIMG_0994.jpgIMG_0995.jpg

This is the other one that only has space for one light. Again the wattage says 34W it’s a little closer but still under.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, but it doesn't provide UVB. You can find the UVB fluorescent lights at lightyourreptile.com

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Hi,

I wanted to purchase the Arcadia T8 12% bulb and I am shopping for hanging light fixtures. I am going to hang it over a 6ft diameter kiddy pool with PVC pipes but before buying something I wanted to ask if either fixture that I found would be safe and work.

This first one from Lowe’s can have two lights in one fixture BUT the wattage it indicates is 32 W and the only Arcadia light that can fit that size is 36W. Would it still be okay/safe and won’t damage the tube bulb? And should the fixture work if it just had one light?

This is the other one that only has space for one light. Again the wattage says 34W it’s a little closer but still under.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you

Short answer, no, neither fixture will work.

In this test, a dome that was painted white inside did not reflect UVB. Something to keep in mind. So I would use a polished aluminum reflector (or similar material)

Whether 1 bulb would work depends on the fixture (ballast). But T8 bulbs usually operate independently.

Good luck finding a fixture that is labeled and rated for 48" 36w T8 120v. 32w is the standard in the United States. 36w bulbs are from Europe. Using a 36w bulb with a 32w ballast can result in shorter lifespan for the bulb, ballast, or both.

Second one appears to be an LED when looking it up on the website.

arami25

Atlanta, GA
Yes, but it doesn't provide UVB. You can find the UVB fluorescent lights at lightyourreptile.com

Hi Yvonne

I was going to use that bulb and put it on one of the following fixtures to hang it. I am using pangeareptile.com to buy the bulb.

IMG_0996.jpg

arami25

Atlanta, GA
Short answer, no, neither fixture will work.

In this test, a dome that was painted white inside did not reflect UVB. Something to keep in mind. So I would use a polished aluminum reflector (or similar material)

Whether 1 bulb would work depends on the fixture (ballast). But T8 bulbs usually operate independently.

Good luck finding a fixture that is labeled and rated for 48" 36w T8 120v. 32w is the standard in the United States. 36w bulbs are from Europe. Using a 36w bulb with a 32w ballast can result in shorter lifespan for the bulb, ballast, or both.

Second one appears to be an LED when looking it up on the website.

I understood the first part about needing an aluminum reflector because white is not good as a reflector. For the second fixture that you pointed out might be an LED I thought it had no bulb to begin with and that I could just stick the UVB tube bulb there. I would like to get a long light UVB bulb since my tortoise is going to be in a 6ft diameter kiddy pool but if you’re saying that they are pretty rare then I can go for shorter or what’s more popular. What length should the UVB bulb be and what fixture is recommended for it? I’d still like to buy the Arcadia T8 or T5 UVB bulb and I need a fixture that can hang.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I understood the first part about needing an aluminum reflector because white is not good as a reflector. For the second fixture that you pointed out might be an LED I thought it had no bulb to begin with and that I could just stick the UVB tube bulb there. I would like to get a long light UVB bulb since my tortoise is going to be in a 6ft diameter kiddy pool but if you’re saying that they are pretty rare then I can go for shorter or what’s more popular. What length should the UVB bulb be and what fixture is recommended for it? I’d still like to buy the Arcadia T8 or T5 UVB bulb and I need a fixture that can hang.

LED fixtures usually have integral "bulbs" that are built in. Where it says fluorescent in the title threw me off at first also, it should have had LED somewhere around there.

T5 is the better option if you can. Shorter T8 bulbs are usually for accent fixtures (under cabinet lights, cove lights), etc so may have harder time to find a fixture thats easy to hang and may have same problem ie 36" fixture in US is usually 25w vs Arcadia's 30w.

arami25

Atlanta, GA
LED fixtures usually have integral "bulbs" that are built in. Where it says fluorescent in the title threw me off at first also, it should have had LED somewhere around there.

T5 is the better option if you can. Shorter T8 bulbs are usually for accent fixtures (under cabinet lights, cove lights), etc so may have harder time to find a fixture thats easy to hang and may have same problem ie 36" fixture in US is usually 25w vs Arcadia's 30w.

Gotcha, I definitely don’t mind getting that I was just getting confused on if T5 or T8 was better for my situation. I found a light fixture and the T5 bulb that I want to use at pangeareptile.com

Thank you for the help!