would you guys recommend this for a redfoot tortoise.?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use straight cypress mulch, my guy thrives on it.View attachment 337081
I'm curious how much more that mulch costs just because of the animal pictures on the bag.
I use mulch in my outdoors enclosures and its $2.50 to $4.00 for a large bag.
I see it in pet shops in tiny bags for about $15 to $20.
Clever marketing

Cpassmore

Ontario Canada
Ya. Everything is more expensive in the pet store. There's no where else to buy cypress mulch around here. But I'm in Canada, probably a different storey where you're from. That 26.4 liter bag posted in the picture is pretty big, as big as a yard mulch bag and it cost me around 25 bucks. Outdoor mulch I can buy for 3 dollars a bag but it's disgusting in comparison.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ya. Everything is more expensive in the pet store. There's no where else to buy cypress mulch around here. But I'm in Canada, probably a different storey where you're from. That 26.4 liter bag posted in the picture is pretty big, as big as a yard mulch bag and it cost me around 25 bucks. Outdoor mulch I can buy for 3 dollars a bag but it's disgusting in comparison.
Unfortunately I've recently sifted through some "regular" mulch and found both metal shards and hard plastic bits.
You are correct

LizzyLu

Katy, Texas
I purchased organic compressed peatmoss from the hardware store and mix with topsoil. For a large enclosure it was cost effective and the redfoot do well with it. Never had shell rot and holds humidity well.