Wound care emergency, away from vet for a few days (warning:slight gore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Ok so I'm at my parents to vote since we had a long weekend for Election Day at school. In a couple of other posts I've described the the large aquatic turtle pond surrounded by a courtyard (3 sides house/garage 1 side wrought iron fence) Its proven its self secure for years. I keep my 3 sullies in the turtle yard inside a playpen when we are visiting. This afternoon while my mom and we out my dad called and asked me where Levi was and why he wasn't out with the girls....this is where the panic of the day started. By the time time I got home dad had found Levi between the paws of a stray we noticed yesterday in the neighbors lawn. He seems....honestly way better than expected. I need advice on how to wrap/treat it for a few days and everyone's opinion on really how bad it is. If he'll be ok wrapped up and warm for a few days thats good (I was planning on going home Wednesday) if not ill leave first thing in the morning and it should only take us 2 hours to get to his vet.

Please let me know what you think, he's in a warm bath right now and I was going to wrap him up with a warm damp towel under the CHE after. (Now I have to go help dad tear apart his pond to bring his aquatics in until we figure out the security breach)

79503ab08fda9918e32e4a41df2cb0a8.jpg

f78b00d84c8cce4628164c284cddcada.jpg

4c31af4fd62598218df859cbc9767282.jpg

d5d27b36dc4d4b1bc863285881dc1155.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a very minor wound, Ana. There's really no need to worry about it. Just treat it as you would treat your own skinned knee. Wash it thoroughly, dry it then apply an antibiotic ointment. If the tortoise is not around flies, there's no need to wrap it. Leaving it open to dry in the air is best. The only thing one MIGHT do besides what I've said above is get some anti-biotic injections from the vet.

Poor Levi. This was probably pretty traumatic for him. A nice quiet place away from foot traffic would be in order.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
As long as he is kept in a sterile hospital enclosure, no dirt just towels or newspaper, he should be ok till a vet visit, I would use antibiotic cream, a couple of times a day. The ones on the bottom look worse especially the one towards the back looks like the shell was broken through, that is the one you will want to watch.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
emysemys said:
That's a very minor wound, Ana. There's really no need to worry about it. Just treat it as you would treat your own skinned knee. Wash it thoroughly, dry it then apply an antibiotic ointment. If the tortoise is not around flies, there's no need to wrap it. Leaving it open to dry in the air is best. The only thing one MIGHT do besides what I've said above is get some anti-biotic injections from the vet.

Poor Levi. This was probably pretty traumatic for him. A nice quiet place away from foot traffic would be in order.

Thank you, I'm going to go pick up some Neosporin now. Right now he's draped in a towel under a che in a clean tank, alone and in the dark. I think I'll still take him in for antibiotics on Wednesday, I've never had a reptile go septic but I have a feeling ill be dreaming about pictures I've seen of it tonight.

dmmj said:
As long as he is kept in a sterile hospital enclosure, no dirt just towels or newspaper, he should be ok till a vet visit, I would use antibiotic cream, a couple of times a day. The ones on the bottom look worse especially the one towards the back looks like the shell was broken through, that is the one you will want to watch.

Yeah that's the worst point it looks like she (the stray lab) got a tooth in between the bone and keratin layers near his armpit. I put him in a tank with just towels and he tromped around in his bath like everything was normal so my heart rate is slowly coming down. My whole family sort of freaked out and I think it had less to do with the actual damage done to Levi than the courtyard being prove unsafe. It's been used to let every thing from bunnies and beardies to baby cousins play outside so I think everyone is a bit rattled that its not as safe as we though (Dads still waist deep looking for his last RES, so I know he's not taking it with any grace :) )

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Poor baby :( Though as far as dog encounters go, this is the most mild I've seen. I think he will pull through just fine :)

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Pokeymeg said:
Poor baby :( Though as far as dog encounters go, this is the most mild I've seen. I think he will pull through just fine :)

Thanks! I don't think much time passed between the dog getting in and my dad noticing, he was outside working.

countrygirlcolorado

5 Year Member
I would spray the sores twice a day with vetricyn. It's a wonderful product! I use it on every injury in my house

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I love dog's, untill they hurt a tortoise or turtle. Our recent rescued greyhound learned real fast she wants nothing to do with Cooper. They were both on the bed, with me as I would never leave them alone together ever, and Cooper decided to take a closer look. Well he sure did, he put the front leg spikes to her while get'n a closer look. Needless to say if she even see's him get'n close to her she heads for the hills! I'm glad it happend tho cause now I have less to worry about, even tho they are never alone together.

pemry3

5 Year Member
countrygirlcolorado said:
I would spray the sores twice a day with vetricyn. It's a wonderful product! I use it on every injury in my house

Agreed! That stuff is amazing!

BowandWalter

5 Year Member

Oh golly, my Mom sprays that on anything willing to hold still for 5 seconds.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Sorry I haven't updated guys, I got a job and am finalizing my volunteer internship at the zoo within weeks of each other....not to mention its almost exams. Levi is doing great, the vet said he actually looked really good. He finished up his anti biotics on Tuesday and is stomping around as usuall...thanks for the help guys!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
BowandWalter said:

Oh golly, my Mom sprays that on anything willing to hold still for 5 seconds.

Haha, our rescue president is that way with Scarlex on the dogs. Only difference is it's hot pink.... I wonder if you could use it on a tortoise..... :p

furandscales

5 Year Member
So glad hes better! My dog tried to attack my tortoise once. But we were right there and quickly stopped him! And that was the end if him being near her anymore!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
So happy there is a happy ending. Glad Levi is doing great!

Status
Not open for further replies.