xpost from Photos & Videos: [Possibly] stolen tortoise- please help identify species

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquabum619

5 Year Member
Hello everyone

I have reason to believe that someone came into our backyard and stole our tortoise. It has been missing for a few days now and my wife and daughter are really worried. There is no way it could have escaped, but it is possible that someone came into our yard and took him. It wasn't until this morning on my visit to craigslist, when I realized that tortoises can sometimes sell for a pretty high price.

I alerted a local pet store and they're keeping their eye out. I was also told to contact the local veterinarians and the local police.

I was told by one of the pet store people that sometimes the homeless steal pets and try to resell them. In order to file a police report, I will need the species of the animal. Since it belongs to the landlord of the house we are renting, I have no idea what kind of tortoise it is. I was hoping if you guys could help me identify it?

photo(4).JPG
photo(3).JPG
photo(5).JPG

Any help would be immensely appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I can't say for sure, but I am thinking a desert tortoise. If it is it is illegal to sell.

aquabum619

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I can't say for sure, but I am thinking a desert tortoise. If it is it is illegal to sell.

Thank you. Also, I am from San Diego (if that helps identify the species)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Yes that helps, I was gonna ask if you were in california. I would say most def. a CDT, they are a protected species, that might help the cops move a little faster. Good luck in recovering it.

aquabum619

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Yes that helps, I was gonna ask if you were in california. I would say most def. a CDT, they are a protected species, that might help the cops move a little faster. Good luck in recovering it.

Thanks. Just finished/ submitted the police report. Any chance of identifying the sex of the animal from those pictures?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Nope sorry, not from me, a shot of the underside or a clearer one of the gular would have helped.

aquabum619

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
Are you certain it didn't dig a burrow?

We found him. Thank you for the support. Weird thing is- I really missed him. And seeing everyone here on this forum really into their tortoises. I can certainly play a bigger role (I didn't even know the species and we've been living together since February). Anyway, you've all inspired me. Thanks!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Will your landlord allow you to secure an area just for the tortoise? If your dog and the tortoise are together a lot, it can be be dangerous. Also if you dog gets meds, especially for Heartworm, then the tort eats your dogs poop, ( yes they do this) it can harm the tortoise.
Welcome.. and Im glad you are finding them interesting and want to take a more active roll.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You can (and really should) contact someone like the California Turtle and Tortoise Club (tortoise.org) about the legalities of keeping it- making sure it is owned legally will really help if something happens to it again.

They can also help with cares, suggestions, etc. I would even bet there is someone not too far from you that would be happy to help out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
m_potter said:
Is this in San Bernardino, California that you found the tortoise?

Was lost in San Diego, and the OP has had the tortoise since February.

Hi aquabum619:

You must have joined the forum during the time I was off line and having computer trouble. I missed your initial threads...

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I'm so glad you've found your tortoise. But, come on...give!!! Where did he turn up? Inquiring minds want to know.

If you contact a chapter of the California Turtle and Tortoise Club, they can register the tortoise with the Department of Fish and Game for you. That way, if the tortoise is ever lost again, you have proof that you are his caregiver. The permit process is free and easy, and makes you legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.