Y'all won't believe this.... Babies!!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Ok, so I stumbled across a nest with open eggs... And then dug around and found one baby.... Then across the enclosure another one!!!

Any ideas on the best way to find them all???
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381095185.773184.jpg

I need help!

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Aw, that's adorable! Dig near the eggs, dig deeper. Then look under things around. If they dug themselves out, they'll be looking for cover. Keep us posted.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381096416.453583.jpg

I'm still looking...

hanzel

5 Year Member
Wow congratz..

Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Well I found two babies total today. I will look again over the next few days. I brought them in to join the baby enclosure. I gave them a good soak, offered food (but they weren't hungry).

ImageUploadedByTortForum1381102913.775422.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381102957.542872.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381102978.709891.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381102994.444485.jpg

They are a little smaller than Chuy. And it looks like their little yolk sack just came off recently.

I always read about other people finding babies, but I never thought I'd find any! I'm so excited :)

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Don't step on any!! I am picturing the contraption Rick Moranis built in "Honey I Shrunk the Kids," being used to keep the little turtles safe under you.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:) I am so glad your day finally came to find some! What beautiful surprises they all, too. Congrats!!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Remember to soak them two times a day. These babies need plenty of soaks and warmth.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
They have been soaked. Any ideas on the best way to find other babies if there are any? I think I found 4 empty eggs, and two babies. I also found a giant toad living in there too.

Dora (the mom) is in her bigger/newer enclosure. Where the babies are is our unused fire pit... So I really need to find them because we will want to start having Bon fires as it gets cooler.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I was going to say the same thing, dont step on any. Get down on your hands and knees and start looking they are small and probably havent gone to far

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Thankfully I don't step into this enclosure. It was a not-yet-used fire pit we built, and it was Dora (the mama) temporary enclosure, while I was constructing her permanent enclosure.

This is what it looks like:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381151594.249642.jpg

It's empty now, as Dora is relocated to the permanent enclosure that's much larger.

I really want to make sure I find ALL babies! We will be having fires soon, and I want to make sure it's all cleared out.

Please, if anyone has any tips for finding them, it's greatly appreciated.

There is nothing in there for them to hide under. I believe they all would have to dig in. But I don't know how far down they typically dig.

I think these guys are about two weeks-one month old.

Here's mom:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381151849.183713.jpg

Here's the potential dad:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381151867.891685.jpg

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Good for you. I would take the round wall apart, and carefully remove a couple inches of dirt in there to search.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
Good for you. I would take the round wall apart, and carefully remove a couple inches of dirt in there to search.

I was afraid of that. My husband will be thrilled when he sees me taking apart our fire pit :| but it won't surprise him either...

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
C'mon, it's not mortared as far as I can see. It'll be a breeze. Also, you won't feel guilty with every fire.
txturtle13 said:
yagyujubei said:

I was afraid of that. My husband will be thrilled when he sees me taking apart our fire pit :| but it won't surprise him either...

txturtle13

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
C'mon, it's not mortared as far as I can see. It'll be a breeze. Also, you won't feel guilty with every fire.
txturtle13 said:
yagyujubei said:

Haha you are so very right. Thankfully it isn't mortared. This will be my afternoon project :)

I will keep y'all posted!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I have found a total of three empty egg shells, but just the two babies. I looked all afternoon, I'm not sure that there is a third baby