Yawning and Pink Tongue

J.P.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
hi guys.

is yawning a bad sign? very recently, i've seen my leopards appear to be yawning. they open wide and hold it for half a second to 2 seconds...i don't think it's the mouth breathing that comes with RI, but i have not really seen that so, I am a bit concerned. i never saw them yawn before, but suddenly i see all of them do it at least once. my temps are 80 on the cool side and 90-95 on the warm side. i do not have a turn on my basking light since my torts get a good part of the day outside. humidity is 75-85, diet is about 80% grass.

second question. how pink should their tongues be? i read that pink tongues are a sign of health. due to the yawning episodes, i got a good look at their tongues and i saw light pink. not bright pink, not white though. they seem to be eating fine. i see all of them eat and poop everyday, but i do not monitor how much. about this much pink, or a shade or two paler.....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't think you need to judge the color of pink. If it is pink, then odds are it is healthy. As for the yawning, it could be nothing, I suspect it is nothing, unless it turns into open mouth breathing. Keep an eye on his appetite, if it changes dramatically, it could be a sign. But for now, I would take a wait and see approach.

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
i've seen all of them yawn least once...they also do not actively eat out of their dish since they do a lot of grazing, so i can't tell how much they are eating. the only evidence of adequate food intake is each poop at least once a day, about the size of an almond for the 3 inchers, and about twice that for the 4 inchers.

i do not think they are breathing when they do it since they pretty much hold still, no neck or leg movements.

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
thanks by the way dmmj..sorry i forgot to say it first