Yay for my new redfoot! I think it's a female? Northern or Cherryhead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colormyworld

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York, NY
Hi! I'm glad I found this forum. I haven't had a reptile since college (even though I grew up raising them, and at home we even have the "reptile room" with the arboreal cage built into the wall where you can go in and sit with the iguanas. But since moving from home, this is the first time I'm in an apartment where I can have pets! I went in for a Russian tortoise, but fell in love with the redfoot. I've had Russians before, and can identify the sex easily, but redfoots are new to me. I am pretty sure this is a female, but I am not certain. I'm also not sure if it's a cherryhead or not, seeing as the care sheet I was given said cherryhead (but from what I've read here Petco doesn't always give the correct info), and they didn't know the age either. Thank you for any help!

Jessica

A few pics (and don't worry, she (he?) did not eat the cake! And yes, we want to plan a rematch now that we have the tortoise and the hare!):

MobileMe Gallery- Tortoise

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of knowlegable redfoot keepers here. It looks to be a female Northern from what I can see in the pictures. A good place to start is turtletary.com. The caresheets on the site are the ones I have used with good results. Keep her environment humid and mist her till she drips every day. It wouldn't hurt to pay your vet a visit for a fecal exam to check for parasites.

colormyworld

5 Year Member
New York, NY
Thank you...yes that is what I was thinking as far as being a female Northern but wanted some other educated opinions. :) Do you know how old she might be, approximately?

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Hi! Welcome to the forum! I agree, looks female and definitely a Northern red-foot. Looks like you've got some good company there with your tortoise and bunny. :)

-Matt

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Welcome...and congratulations on your new friend. I too am a newer redfoot tort mom :D Everyone here is awesome so you will have lots of support!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The site does not open for me right now, so I will try it later.

Welcome! There is a section in my site where it describes different types of Red-foots (http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/aboutredfoot.html) and a section on Cherry-heads, in case that is what you have (http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/cherryhead.html)

Age is tougher since they grow at such varied rates, and most of their biology is driven by size rather than age. It is much more common in tortoise circles to speak of a 4" or 7" tortoise than a 4 year-old or a 12 year-old tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.