Yearling leopard won’t eat anything

Parais11

Location (City and/or State)
Plainview ny
5091928F-E0D3-4B37-AB75-99212C923C2E.jpeg 37BF51B9-9DD1-4F69-801E-25897782B8A9.jpeg 19A03122-6DFD-402D-9D00-3C3297986BAB.jpeg 161BA0B1-5085-46B2-A288-29260A279726.jpeg E5FDA663-7A12-432F-A606-05052A71F591.jpeg i just acquired a Yearling leopard tortoise. I have had him for 4 days now. It refuses to eat anything. I tried Mazuri soaked, nothing, grassland diet, nothing. Tried every single green I could find, and nothing. Collard, dandelion, various lettuces, mustard, kale, spring mix. He is active, walks around, but doesn’t eat. He does relieve himself daily. His temps are in he 80-85 with a basking spot of about 105. There is a cool end that gets to about 78. Mvb bulb and heat emitter for heat with a regular bulb for added heat and lighting. Humidity is at 60% or higher and I spray daily. He also gets soaks 1 to 2 times a day. 5x2 enclosure currently. Any help would be greatly appreciated. He has lost 3 grams since I’ve had him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You'll need to contact his previous owner and find out exactly what the tortoise is used to eating. They sometimes don't recognize new foods as edible. So you'll need to give him exactly what the previous owner fed him.

(That's a really good-looking tortoise)

Parais11

Plainview ny
Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately the previous owner is nowhere to be found. I guess I can just keep on offering different foods until he eats something.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In that case, you can start out with something that's on the don't feed list. Chop up some ice burg lettuce. If he'll eat that, then tomorrow, add a tiny (TINY) bit of one of the good greens, whatever you have on hand. Just a tiny bit. And mix it all together. Once you have him eating that, for several days in a row, add another tiny bit of something else. You can slowly add more of the good stuff and less of the iceberg until you have him totally weaned off the iceberg. Don't be in a hurry. They're pretty picky. Another thing to try if the iceberg doesn't work is cucumber. Grate some cucumber over some of the good greens and mix it all up so everything smells like cucumber. And make sure the temperature doesn't get below 80F day and night.

Last edited:

Chasen

Galveston
In that case, you can start out with something that's on the don't feed list. Chop us some ice burg lettuce. If he'll eat that, then tomorrow, add a tiny (TINY) bit of one of the good greens, whatever you have on hand. Just a tiny bit. And mix it all together. Once you have him eating that, for several days in a row, add another tiny bit of something else. You can slowly add more of the good stuff and less of the iceberg until you have him totally weaned off the iceberg. Don't be in a hurry. They're pretty picky. Another thing to try if the iceberg doesn't work is cucumber. Grate some cucumber over some of the good greens and mix it all up so everything smells like cucumber. And make sure the temperature doesn't get below 80F day and night.
Maybe carrot soaks too?