Yeezy and Jaffa Cake the Cherry Heads

BeckyLg

Hello all! My name's Becky and I am mother to two baby cherry head tortoises, Yeezy and Jaffa Cake. Me and my boyfriend, Ronan, got them in June, and we think they were hatched in May. The woman we bought them off was very interested in tortoises, she had many of her own and had been breeding for years and gave us lots of care sheets and even some food and bedding so give to them before we could set ourselves up completely. She sexed them both, Yeezy as a boy and Jaffa as a girl but we can't be sure of this for a few years and we're keeping in mind that it might change. :) I also have a female German Shepherd dog called Denny who has no apparent interest in the tortoises which is, in my opinion, a good thing. We are still careful around her with them though because she is quite big.

Anyway, about the tortoises:
  • Yeezy is our boy tortoise, named after Kanye West (whose nickname is Yeezy) by Ronan (he loves hip hop). Yeezy is the more energetic of the two, he loves wandering especially to unreachable places like under the sofa or TV cabinet. He loves bananas, mushrooms and mazuri. He's faster than Jaffa Cake and loves exploring and climbing. His shell is darker and a bit more marble-y and he has a little point on his nose.
  • Jaffa Cake is presumably a girl. Her name came from about a years worth of tortoise research, during which we had seen an advertisement saying there were tortoises for sale the size of a Jaffa Cake. The name idea stuck in mind and when we got her, she was as small and round as a Jaffa Cake so we gave the name to her. Jaffa loves food, she is slower than Yeezy and doesn't enjoy exploring as much especially if there's food in front of her. She loves mushrooms, cucumber and mazuri. Jaffa's shell is lighter, her face is flatter and she has a little dent on her shell just above her head.
  • A picture of them both (Jaffa Cake on the left and Yeezy on the right):
Despite the tortoises being so small, Ronan and I genuinely love them like our own children, and we feel like a small little family. We absolutely love learning more and more about them and are fascinated by how different their personalities are. I've joined the tortoise forum so that I can learn even more about them, their species and how to best care for them, and so that I can join in with talking about different things within this community.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to speaking to everyone. :)

Becky.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Becky, and welcome to the Forum!

One has to have a Google account before they can see your pictures. (I don't have one)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Becky, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Yeezy, Jaffa Cake, Ronan and Denny. :)
Basic information can be found here : http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and our redfoots section carries everything else you should need.
Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
One word of warning though.
You say Denny shows no interest in the tortoises but please supervise their interactions at all times. Even the best natured dog after many years of peaceful cohabitation can suddenly decide tortoises make good chew toys. We see the results far too often here. :(

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome Becky.
Also be advised that tortoises should never be allowed to wander inside of a house.
All kinds of things get found and eaten and many tortoises have been badly injured by circumstances that were avoidable.
I also keep Redfoot, so I know how much fun you'll be having.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello all! My name's Becky and I am mother to two baby cherry head tortoises, Yeezy and Jaffa Cake. Me and my boyfriend, Ronan, got them in June, and we think they were hatched in May. The woman we bought them off was very interested in tortoises, she had many of her own and had been breeding for years and gave us lots of care sheets and even some food and bedding so give to them before we could set ourselves up completely. She sexed them both, Yeezy as a boy and Jaffa as a girl but we can't be sure of this for a few years and we're keeping in mind that it might change. :) I also have a female German Shepherd dog called Denny who has no apparent interest in the tortoises which is, in my opinion, a good thing. We are still careful around her with them though because she is quite big.

Anyway, about the tortoises:
  • Yeezy is our boy tortoise, named after Kanye West (whose nickname is Yeezy) by Ronan (he loves hip hop). Yeezy is the more energetic of the two, he loves wandering especially to unreachable places like under the sofa or TV cabinet. He loves bananas, mushrooms and mazuri. He's faster than Jaffa Cake and loves exploring and climbing. His shell is darker and a bit more marble-y and he has a little point on his nose.
  • Jaffa Cake is presumably a girl. Her name came from about a years worth of tortoise research, during which we had seen an advertisement saying there were tortoises for sale the size of a Jaffa Cake. The name idea stuck in mind and when we got her, she was as small and round as a Jaffa Cake so we gave the name to her. Jaffa loves food, she is slower than Yeezy and doesn't enjoy exploring as much especially if there's food in front of her. She loves mushrooms, cucumber and mazuri. Jaffa's shell is lighter, her face is flatter and she has a little dent on her shell just above her head.
  • A picture of them both (Jaffa Cake on the left and Yeezy on the right):
Despite the tortoises being so small, Ronan and I genuinely love them like our own children, and we feel like a small little family. We absolutely love learning more and more about them and are fascinated by how different their personalities are. I've joined the tortoise forum so that I can learn even more about them, their species and how to best care for them, and so that I can join in with talking about different things within this community.

Thanks for reading! I look forward to speaking to everyone. :)

Becky.

A very warm welcome to the forum! :D

Unfortunately, neither of the pics you posted came up. :( Would you please try to post them again?:) Thank you.;)

BeckyLg

Do you have any idea how the seller "sexed" them.
It's virtually impossible to sex such a young tortoise.
Even at over one year old it is very hard.
I think just guesses really by the shapes of their shells and stuff. She did tell us they could turn out to be anything but gave it a guess anyway. We didn't choose them based on gender anyway, we wanted two and chose the two hatched on the same day so we could celebrate their birthdays together, haha!

BeckyLg

A very warm welcome to the forum! :D

Unfortunately, neither of the pics you posted came up. :( Would you please try to post them again?:) Thank you.;)
Hi! Thanks for the welcome. :) I did struggle a bit with the photos, wasn't sure if they would work. Haven't figured out a different way of uploading photos yet, but we did make an Instagram account for them where you can view our best photos and videos! It's yeezyandjaffacake ><

BeckyLg

Hi Becky, and welcome to the Forum!

One has to have a Google account before they can see your pictures. (I don't have one)
I think I posted via a link that was specific to my own Google account so only I can view them anyway. :( I found it a bit difficult but if you want to view photos of them, we've made them an Instagram account, yeezyandjaffacake. :D

BeckyLg

Welcome Becky.
Also be advised that tortoises should never be allowed to wander inside of a house.
All kinds of things get found and eaten and many tortoises have been badly injured by circumstances that were avoidable.
I also keep Redfoot, so I know how much fun you'll be having.
Yeah, any time they go out doors we supervise them. We feed them everything they eat indoors when they're outdoors, sometimes we just feel its nice to give them a bit of natural sunlight (whenever it's occasionally out here in the UK). Thanks for the advice!

BeckyLg

Hello, Becky, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Yeezy, Jaffa Cake, Ronan and Denny. :)
Basic information can be found here : http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and our redfoots section carries everything else you should need.
Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
One word of warning though.
You say Denny shows no interest in the tortoises but please supervise their interactions at all times. Even the best natured dog after many years of peaceful cohabitation can suddenly decide tortoises make good chew toys. We see the results far too often here. :(
Thank you! Although she is a good-natured dog, she is a very big dog so we don't let her around them without having a hold on her in the off chance that she steps on them or anything. And I think Jaffa Cake is more likely to decide Denny is a good chew toy than vice versa!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi! Thanks for the welcome. :) I did struggle a bit with the photos, wasn't sure if they would work. Haven't figured out a different way of uploading photos yet, but we did make an Instagram account for them where you can view our best photos and videos! It's yeezyandjaffacake ><
This time I saw them! Very cute. However I believe they're too young to tell their genders.

BeckyLg

This time I saw them! Very cute. However I believe they're too young to tell their genders.
Me too. I've read a bit up on them and I can see how the seller tried to gender them but we are keeping in mind that they could be anything really. It's nice to have an idea in our heads, so we can call them "she" and "he" until we know otherwise. :)