Yellow belly slider baby

The crab man

Location (City and/or State)
MILLEN
I need help with my yellow belly slider, I was at a local flea market today and a person had this single baby turtle in absolutely horrible conditions I could not bring myself to leave it there it came with some tortoise diet and I keep other reptiles so I have alot of supplies on hand for heat, uv, etc but no experience with aquatic turtles. How much water does it need I have a large fish tank but there are already fish in there is it safe to go in there if not how big of a tank should I go buy and what else do you recommend buying I'm going first thing in the am

Oliverland

Virginia
I don’t know how big it is but if we are saying about 2 inches I would do about a 10 or 15 gallon as a starter but do keep in mind that yellow bellies get pretty big so you are going to need to upgrade that. Now for food just to get it started I would get a basic turtle diet from petco or any local pet store, and for water again assuming it is is 2 inches long I would give it about 4 or 5 inches of water depending on if it can swim just while you have it in a temporary enclosure, though in the long run it will Ned to be about a foot or two deep so keep that in mind. And no don’t put it I need with the fish unless you want your fish getting sick from anything the turtle might have on it. And for extra supplies I would get,
1. A turtle ledge ( big enough so that he/she can get fully out of the water )
2. Rocks for the bottom of the tank
I would recommend keeping it on some damp paper towel over night in a bin or tub until you can get the tank.
Good luck!

The crab man

MILLEN
I don’t know how big it is but if we are saying about 2 inches I would do about a 10 or 15 gallon as a starter but do keep in mind that yellow bellies get pretty big so you are going to need to upgrade that. Now for food just to get it started I would get a basic turtle diet from petco or any local pet store, and for water again assuming it is is 2 inches long I would give it about 4 or 5 inches of water depending on if it can swim just while you have it in a temporary enclosure, though in the long run it will Ned to be about a foot or two deep so keep that in mind. And no don’t put it I need with the fish unless you want your fish getting sick from anything the turtle might have on it. And for extra supplies I would get,
1. A turtle ledge ( big enough so that he/she can get fully out of the water )
2. Rocks for the bottom of the tank
I would recommend keeping it on some damp paper towel over night in a bin or tub until you can get the tank.
Good luck!
Okay thank you yes it's very small I dont know much about aquatic turtles and it was a bit of a impulse buy but it was literally in a closed Mason jar so I just couldn't leave it

turtlesailor

10 Year Member!
California
A 20 long would suffice for awhile. Than upgrade to stock tank with 75-150 gallon size.

Slider neonates are excellent swimmers, a fish tank with full water is fine. Just make sure there is a spot for the turtle to get on land like using the zoomed turtle dock.

Live plants or plastic plants should be offered as a source for the baby to rest when tired. And your all set really, if you have the supplies.

Texas
Okay thank you yes it's very small I dont know much about aquatic turtles and it was a bit of a impulse buy but it was literally in a closed Mason jar so I just couldn't leave it
10 gallons per inch is what usually recommended. And when the time comes to buy that stock tank, I have a video on my YouTube Channel on making a 110 gallon pond for under $200!