yellow bumps and biopsies, we need your help.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
we really need a wider sample set to be sure all the cases of yellow bumps we are seeing are the same bacterial infection. we have info but we need to be sure with a few more samples before i can post more info. we do not need your whole tortoise unless it has passed and you would like to send it out for lab testing in which case please message me and we will set this up for you,

we can now use a sample biopsy where a small piece of a lump is removed and then sent to the lab for the same types of testing. this is very important as we are trying to pinpoint a proper treatment and to know exactly which anti biotic is actually effective,

the bacterial infection that is causing this is systemic and by the time you see them on the skin they are already in the body, we have found the granulomas in the major organs.

if you and your vet can help figure this out please ask about doing a biopsy, the lab does not pay out to the vet but will do its testing for you to figure this out. this looks like something specific and if it is its not good.

if your vet can do this for you and you want to help everyone figure this mess out please let me know you will have the biopsy done and i will get you all the proper info to give your vet about where and who to send the sample to.

we would like at least 5 people who can send in samples.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
and to add since i can edit this: or once again, if one of them passes or you would like to send one in anyway get with me personally and i will send you a PRE PAID shipping label and let you know how to pack them and prepare them so they stay good on the way there. that is another way. then you have zero costs at all.

Kandisa612

AZ
we really need a wider sample set to be sure all the cases of yellow bumps we are seeing are the same bacterial infection. we have info but we need to be sure with a few more samples before i can post more info. we do not need your whole tortoise unless it has passed and you would like to send it out for lab testing in which case please message me and we will set this up for you,

we can now use a sample biopsy where a small piece of a lump is removed and then sent to the lab for the same types of testing. this is very important as we are trying to pinpoint a proper treatment and to know exactly which anti biotic is actually effective,

the bacterial infection that is causing this is systemic and by the time you see them on the skin they are already in the body, we have found the granulomas in the major organs.

if you and your vet can help figure this out please ask about doing a biopsy, the lab does not pay out to the vet but will do its testing for you to figure this out. this looks like something specific and if it is its not good.

if your vet can do this for you and you want to help everyone figure this mess out please let me know you will have the biopsy done and i will get you all the proper info to give your vet about where and who to send the sample to.

we would like at least 5 people who can send in samples.
I have an appointment today with Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital. I have never been there, and do not know anything about the veterinarian. My appointment is at 4:30pm Arizona time. I do not mind sending in a sample or asking the vet to do a biopsy. What exactly would you like me to do?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
it can not be a needle biopsy we would need the whole "bump" if your vet has questions she is welcome to get a hold of us here. if you need my info shoot me a message and i can give you our direct phone numbers. and i can give you or the vet the info on where to send it to.

Kandisa612

AZ
She was on antibiotics for almost two weeks. Her dose just ended. I would have to say during her course of anabiotic she was doing very bad. She was not eating and she was sleeping all day. She lost 2 g over the course of 10 days. Although she has been off of the antibiotics for two days now and is slowly regaining her strength. She has already gained 3 g and is active and eating well. Most of her spots are gone except one on her back leg. Her follow up appointment is tomorrow. As of now, I think she is going to make it. Thank you for asking!

The only things I have changed are her humidity level, which I increased, and soaking her daily instead of three times a week. Those were recommendations by her vet.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
I need to remind everyone with the bumps we also thought we had them looking good Till 6 or so months later when it came back worse. Please keep an eye on them and remember they may remain contagious even after treatment. Many cases of austwickia are known to reoccur anywhere between weeks to months later. See my other post after lab tests this came back austwickia chelonae.

adptorts

5 Year Member
California
She was on antibiotics for almost two weeks. Her dose just ended. I would have to say during her course of anabiotic she was doing very bad. She was not eating and she was sleeping all day. She lost 2 g over the course of 10 days. Although she has been off of the antibiotics for two days now and is slowly regaining her strength. She has already gained 3 g and is active and eating well. Most of her spots are gone except one on her back leg. Her follow up appointment is tomorrow. As of now, I think she is going to make it. Thank you for asking!

The only things I have changed are her humidity level, which I increased, and soaking her daily instead of three times a week. Those were recommendations by her vet.

Good to read your tortoise is improving however if you still have one lesion the bacteria is still present and could lead to another outbreak. As a vet tech I would also recommend adding probiotics to the diet. Bene-bac bird and reptile is a good one. Especially if you have to do another round of antibiotics.

Matt Lopez

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South San Antonio , TX Area
I have/had two ivories that are exhibiting the yellow bumps. The last one is still active and eating a little bit a day after a soak. Possibly due to it trying to fight the bacteria. I fed reptivite dusted food daily. What would you like me to do and I’ll do my best to help out!

Attachments

• CDA9797E-CE91-4D74-8061-0F6C331F2795.jpeg
    CDA9797E-CE91-4D74-8061-0F6C331F2795.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 937874D2-F5FD-493C-A3AF-5256C3C3DBEB.jpeg
    937874D2-F5FD-493C-A3AF-5256C3C3DBEB.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 66

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
I have/had two ivories that are exhibiting the yellow bumps. The last one is still active and eating a little bit a day after a soak. Possibly due to it trying to fight the bacteria. I fed reptivite dusted food daily. What would you like me to do and I’ll do my best to help out!
can i ask where they came from?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
for now we have completed testing in sulcata because we have many samples and reports. all coming back positive and in different degrees of advancement of austwickia. every one has tested positive who had the bumps thus far.

IF you have one you would like to have tested for yourself i am happy to send you paperwork and where to send it for a necropsy and i can set that all up with you filling out the paperwork or you can give me all the info and i can send in the paperwork. message me and i will explain what to do and how to ship them and costs for you of the necropsy. the cost is VERY low compared to what you would pay elsewhere to have it done.

if you have any questions please ask and ill do the best i can to answer them. we will be testing other species still till we have more info on how this is spreading etc. we do have a couple others going in soon for testing to know if what we are seeing is the same on say leo's or red foots etc.

but as of now if you see those bumps there is VERY VERY high chance they do have this bacteria. symptoms tend to be based on how deeply seeded it is in their system.

the above mentioned ivorys were also sent in from matt and came back positive as well just to also update the status on those.