yellow bumps pcr test results are back

mastershake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
this is in fact a type of Austwickia chelonae. as of now in talking to a few places who have dealt with this before including uf there really is not a definite cure. im waiting for them to get back to me with the rest of the info and i will update this soon. note this can affect other torts, turtles and reptiles including lizards. and its not something nice at all. this is a quick post because there are a lot of people to notify.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
we have confirmed also today the torts we sent in did NOT have crypto that was also tested for. there may also be an underlying fungus sitting along with the bacteria those results should be back end of the week. as i said we tried to check for everything they could.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
i had thought i posted this here but for some reason i must have forgot to here is a necropsy report so you can see how invasive and bad this can be. note the "happy hides" watermarks, we are happy hides rescue and we did watermark this because we have tons of time and money involved and are working on a study of all this. just wanted to clarify that. if you have questions please do ask i will do the best i can to answer. this is just one of the necropsies, we have multiple. basically if they have had those bumps then they came back positive. it all depends on how deeply seeded internally it is that seems to determine the visible symptoms some of which you can not ever see.

Attachments

• PATHOLOGY_REPORT_HAPPYHIDES_page1.jpg
    PATHOLOGY_REPORT_HAPPYHIDES_page1.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 53
  • PATHOLOGY_REPORT_HAPPYHIDES_page2.jpg
    PATHOLOGY_REPORT_HAPPYHIDES_page2.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 51
  • PATHOLOGY_REPORT_HAPPYHIDES_page3.jpg
    PATHOLOGY_REPORT_HAPPYHIDES_page3.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 49

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
in testing there is NO one antibiotic that was able to fully treat this. im told it could take a combo of 3-4 and even then its only a chance and prob will not fully "cure" this. sometimes in treatment it gets better symptom wise but will recur in weeks or months. none of the treated animals are alive still and the longest one we had alive before it came back and got a lot worse again was around 12-13 months.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
You have posted this before but it was on another thread, I don’t recall where tbh.

Handy to have it here.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Are you suspecting the bacteria are incubating inside eggs (so are passing directly from females to offspring)...or that hatchlings are contracting it through a contaminated environment alone?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
its from the environment. when the female lays the eggs she can defecate on them some and as the babies leave the eggs they can come into contact. as well once you have infected animals the soil and or water becomes infected as they move around and poop etc.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I may have the chance to try it with box turtle adenovirus...if the remaining female hangs on and can get her eggs out (big IF, but she's been tough and had good weight when she got here). Planning to try hypochlorous water instead of bleach.

I think the experiment might be worth trying for someone with an infected colony who can use a 100% separate and decontaminated facility to quarantine, incubate, and hatch. If they're losing their clutches, reputation, and income, worth the effort, IMO.

The question mark would be how much sprayed ammonia would permeate egg shells...and whether that would be any harm...

Have any identified-contaminated facilities been trying to institute disinfection protocols that you know? What would you suggest one try on such a scale?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
difference here is austwickia is bacterial. yeah im not sure how much or little it would take to permeate the egg ill ask the people at the lab and see if they have any idea on that one. the main person these are coming from could care less and im sure wouldnt do much with any kind of protocol anyway. if the eggs can somehow be cleaned and removed from any infected area there could be a possibility i guess they might be able to be hatched without issues.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Kind of like trying to get rid of salmonella or clostridium on a farm when free-range animals are in play.

Yeah, I can't find any references to adenovirus particles inside eggs. So a wild hail-mary since infected animals don't recover with any level of support. She's hanging in there, and I owe it to her to try (yes, I got attached lol , but she's earned my respect). I want to go at it by treating the eggs since hypochlorous is pretty benign and theoretically kills norovirus (CDC says 'anything that kills human noro kills human adeno'). A follow up with distilled water should stop any acidic shell erosion.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
difference here is austwickia is bacterial. yeah im not sure how much or little it would take to permeate the egg ill ask the people at the lab and see if they have any idea on that one. the main person these are coming from could care less and im sure wouldnt do much with any kind of protocol anyway. if the eggs can somehow be cleaned and removed from any infected area there could be a possibility i guess they might be able to be hatched without issues.
Sorry if this is in another post, but the main culprit has been identified?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
do you mean the main seller they are coming from? or the main thing causing the infection?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
so far there is no way. his state has no laws against it and its not affecting animals that usda and fda monitor so until they start to see it affecting endangered wildlife there may be nothing anyone can do. they did find a gopher with this recently so that is one ave they are looking into