Yellow Foot Indoor Enclosure Size

Tiff

5 Year Member
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to find the size requirements for a female (assuming ) yellow foot tort indoor enclosure. Can i get minimum and max size.

PS: At one time I think their was a post on the requirements. I cannot locate it.

Thanks for the help!

Tiff

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
Hi! I've read somewhere that the minimum is 4x shell length by 8x shell length. Don't think there really is a maximum for an indoor enclosure, the bigger the better :)
Going to build something?

BaconandEggs

Northern California
I'm in the middle of building my indoor enclosure for my 2 kids. Somewhere I had heard 4sqft per tort, so mine is 5x4 ft, for 20sqft. Mine are also still both juveniles.

Cage.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
The bigger the better. I have a 4ft x 8ft enclosure for my adult redfoot and he uses every inch of it. We have resorted to a lot of supervised 'out' time in the bath, the pasture, etc. When we move soon I'm hoping to go 20x30ft for outdoors and add a heated shed so he doesn't have to come in until winter really hits because the 4x8ft enclosure is lacking once you add a soaking dish, food dish and two hides.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree, think about how big can I go. But for an absolute minimum I go one square foot for every square inch of tortoise times how many tortoises you have but that's an absolute minimum for me

Tiff

5 Year Member
LaDukePhoto, That helps a lot. The problem i am having is that my house is small! I live in Washington, DC. My yard is very small as well. That is why i want to know the minimum. I'm planning on making a decision if i can keep my yellow foot. I want my tort to be happy. He outgrown his 4ft by 18" enclosure.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Yellowfoots can be pretty big. The 4x8' minimum that people recommend for other species, redfoots included, it too small for an adult yellowfoot. There is no formal "minimum" but you should be thinking spare bedroom sized or larger for adult housing.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
LaDukePhoto, That helps a lot. The problem i am having is that my house is small! I live in Washington, DC. My yard is very small as well. That is why i want to know the minimum. I'm planning on making a decision if i can keep my yellow foot. I want my tort to be happy. He outgrown his 4ft by 18" enclosure.

I feel you. I am in an 400sq ft apartment and things are tight. We don't own a table, chairs, couch, etc. I have 2 desks with one chair, a dresser and a beanbag. The critters are spoiled and fair better than us humans do.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I feel you. I am in an 400sq ft apartment and things are tight. We don't own a table, chairs, couch, etc. I have 2 desks with one chair, a dresser and a beanbag. The critters are spoiled and fair better than us humans do.
your spouse must be very tolerant, or have the patience of a saint

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
your spouse must be very tolerant, or have the patience of a saint

He picked the apartment AND he helped pick the big dumb tortoise. We moved into this sardine can so we could save for a house and now we are waiting for everything to come through so we can have 1500sq ft and a big yard for the creatures. Not only do we have an adult redfoot in here, but there is a rat, a cat, and a little redfoot in a tank. Believe it or not, even though we are both self employed and always together we haven't tried once to kill each other....intentionally.

Tiff

5 Year Member
I wish I had a hug room to give my tort. I have three torts in total a greek and a russian. I just do not have the space he needs. I think it is best that he gets a new home. What do you guys think? It's a very hard decision but i think it is best for him.

In the beginning i did not plan things well. I have learned a lot since then.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Wow 400sq ft!

It's tight! But it's also cheap and the rent includes all the utilities. I'm not wasteful, but I do love really long hot showers and keeping the heat up.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
It's tight! But it's also cheap and the rent includes all the utilities. I'm not wasteful, but I do love really long hot showers and keeping the heat up.
oh my god a kindred spirit I love long hot showers as well.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
oh my god a kindred spirit I love long hot showers as well.
David, here in Oregon, showers are so common our location search says, "results not found" if you type in umbrella. All of that said, if it's a hot shower, that just makes it perfect

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
David, here in Oregon, showers are so common our location search says, "results not found" if you type in umbrella. All of that said, if it's a hot shower, that just makes it perfect

Umbrella? Are those the things tourists carry so you know which ones they are?