Yellow Margined Chinese Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuu2713

5 Year Member
I have the opportunity to buy a chinese box turtle, the pet store doesn't have it labeled as anything else, but I believe it to be a yellow margined based on the markings on the head. His shell is a lighter color then most I see, but he's still just a baby.

My question is, how big would an indoor enclosure need to be for this little guy? And how humid? Should there be a swimming side? I'm having trouble getting specific information.

Wesley

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Belgium
Ryuu2713 said:
I have the opportunity to buy a chinese box turtle, the pet store doesn't have it labeled as anything else, but I believe it to be a yellow margined based on the markings on the head. His shell is a lighter color then most I see, but he's still just a baby.

My question is, how big would an indoor enclosure need to be for this little guy? And how humid? Should there be a swimming side? I'm having trouble getting specific information.

If it is in fact a baby Cuora flavomarginata, a rather small enclosure (80*40 cm) will do for the next few years...
Their enclosure should be decorated like a forrest habitat: moist soil mixed with bark, (fake or real) plants, moss, cork to hide under and a shallow water dish.

I've had mine (2) for a while now and transfered them to an 170*50 enclosure....

Any more questions: shoot!

Ryuu2713

5 Year Member
Well, I ended up getting a huge 70 gallon aquarium cuz it was on sale, and its completely decorated with soil, bark, live plants and such.

My questions are, how much does he need to eat a day? I used to own redfoots and they ate a lot, so I'm unsure how much he needs to eat.

And then, any suggestions on building a ramp he could use to get in and out of a plastic tub for water? He seems to enjoy soaking and even swimming, but I'm having trouble setting it up so he can get in and out of his own accord. I've even helped him flip back over once, where he almost drown.

Wesley

5 Year Member
Belgium
Ryuu2713 said:
Well, I ended up getting a huge 70 gallon aquarium cuz it was on sale, and its completely decorated with soil, bark, live plants and such.

My questions are, how much does he need to eat a day? I used to own redfoots and they ate a lot, so I'm unsure how much he needs to eat.

And then, any suggestions on building a ramp he could use to get in and out of a plastic tub for water? He seems to enjoy soaking and even swimming, but I'm having trouble setting it up so he can get in and out of his own accord. I've even helped him flip back over once, where he almost drown.

About the food: when mine were tiny, they got a small amount of food 6 days a week, so one day they got nothing. Now they're sub-adults I feed them like every other day. Make sure they get a variety of foods: high-quality turtle pellets, earthworms, crickets and grasshoppers (fed by hand since they're too quick), wax worms (occasionally as a treat), low-sodium dog food, banana, mango, papaya, etc.

Waterdishes: they should have a rather big surface, but also be shallow enough (the turtle must be able to walk around and keep it's head above water at all times). I use a regular shallow dish, but a lot of keepers I know use paint trays for C. flavomarginata... They're not very steep, so the turtle can easily acces and leave the water.

Ryuu2713

5 Year Member
Mine can seem to eat a lot all day, as long as I keep offering him food. Several large crickets, pellets, mealworms, anything. I worry I'm overfeeding him, but I'm unsure.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
I had one a long time ago who would eat feeder fish out of the shallow fountain/pool set up I had for him. Man that was a pain to keep clean though! I really miss that turtle. Ended up being stolen out of my yard or something. Never found out what happened.
Loved that turtle. I rescued him from a crappy pet store and took him directly to a vet who had to drastically file his beak down with a dremel tool. He had been malnourished for so long that some of his claws were missing and his beak was deformed and protruding. Hence his name: Shovelhead
Dang I miss that turtle. He was strong and vibrant at the time he disappeared so I can only hope for the best.
T

Status
Not open for further replies.