Yellow Spots on Neck

mastershake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
this is a bacterial infection. we are working to see if there is any antibiotics tha will help lab testing is being done now. it is highly contagious. please keep them away from any other torts and any other reptiles till we have more answers for everyone

Kandisa612

AZ
Where did you get your little one from?
How long have you had your little one?
I have only had her for about three weeks, but I was told she is four months old. I received her as a gift from a friend. I am not sure what breeder she came from.

Kandisa612

AZ
this is a bacterial infection. we are working to see if there is any antibiotics tha will help lab testing is being done now. it is highly contagious. please keep them away from any other torts and any other reptiles till we have more answers for everyone
Thank you for the information. I have been sifting through all the discussions about this now that I know!
Do you know if it's contagious to other animals like cats?
I typically allow her to walk around outside of her enclosure to get exercise. She is always supervised, but I allow her to walk around the living room and on different tabletops. Is it recommended for me to just keep her in her enclosure and allow outside time?

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
no so far we know it is not contagious to anything besides reptiles and even then its most likely not zoonotic so it will only affect torts but i am still telling people to be careful till we know for sure about other reptiles. but no its not able to be passed to cats or dogs

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I have only had her for about three weeks, but I was told she is four months old. I received her as a gift from a friend. I am not sure what breeder she came from.
I could see that being a little awkward, potentially asking about the origin of a gift. ? Do you know if your friend got one too?

If you happen to be able to work it into the conversation with your friend, even to be able to find out if your friend got the little one "locally," that could be helpful. We're trying to track down the source(s) of the infection.

Kandisa612

AZ
I could see that being a little awkward, potentially asking about the origin of a gift. ? Do you know if your friend got one too?

If you happen to be able to work it into the conversation with your friend, even to be able to find out if your friend got the little one "locally," that could be helpful. We're trying to track down the source(s) of the infection.
I don't mind being awkward if it helps my little one. I'll try to find out!

Also, do you know whether or not I should be allowing her to walk around the house? I typically allow her to walk around outside of her enclosure to get exercise. She is always supervised, but I allow her to walk around the living room and on different tabletops. Is it recommended for me to just keep her in her enclosure and allow outside time? I just want her to be healthy, and I do not want to be doing anything that could hurt her. Although, I love spending time with her outside of her enclosure.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I don't mind being awkward if it helps my little one. I'll try to find out!

Also, do you know whether or not I should be allowing her to walk around the house? I typically allow her to walk around outside of her enclosure to get exercise. She is always supervised, but I allow her to walk around the living room and on different tabletops. Is it recommended for me to just keep her in her enclosure and allow outside time? I just want her to be healthy, and I do not want to be doing anything that could hurt her. Although, I love spending time with her outside of her enclosure.
Definitely keep her confined to the enclosure while inside.

Kandisa612

AZ
Just overnight she had several new spots appear.

Attachments

• 3555B900-CDBF-4549-B710-1025B6FC328B.jpeg
    3555B900-CDBF-4549-B710-1025B6FC328B.jpeg
    1,012.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 591C8404-6274-4263-9FDE-3981BAEDE1D4.jpeg
    591C8404-6274-4263-9FDE-3981BAEDE1D4.jpeg
    871 KB · Views: 92
  • 55C24716-1DE6-429F-8C92-CD497894A50B.jpeg
    55C24716-1DE6-429F-8C92-CD497894A50B.jpeg
    504.2 KB · Views: 94

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Have you seen the care sheet for sulcatas yet?
There's more information pinned at the top of the sulcata section.

Kandisa612

AZ
Do you have a reptile veterinarian? Our members can help with recommendations, depending on where you are in Arizona.
I'm in Tucson, Az. I found a place called 'Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital'. I'm going to try and get an appointment for tomorrow. But, if there is a location in Tucson that someone knows is better, then please reach out.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm in Tucson, Az. I found a place called 'Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital'. I'm going to try and get an appointment for tomorrow. But, if there is a location in Tucson that someone knows is better, then please reach out.

Kandisa612

AZ
So, I got her as a gift from a friend, who said that she had a friend who needed to relocate this Tortoise. We contacted the original person, and the only info they could give us is that she came from a breeder in Miami, Florida. I know that's not great info, but I learned that I am her third home at only 4 months old.

She is still eating great! We got her off of Romain lettuce, which was all she was used to eating. With me, she is now eating fresh-cut Bermuda grass, collard greens, mustard greens, and a little bit of yellow squash, but it took a while. She went about three days without eating anything, but I wanted her off the lettuce.

She is very active and that has not changed! When I take her outside to roam around in the grass, she goes everywhere.

I do worry because she never goes into her shell. Is that weird? Even when he sleeps, she has her head and all four legs sprawled out. She also doesn't sleep in her "house". She always sleeps on her rock, which is out in the open of her table.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
if it is who i think they are not a breeder but a "reseller" in miami so they would have most likely got them from the same place we have suspect as all these other resellers. this condition comes with a lot of edema (swelling) and sometimes its hard for them to fit into the shell. and they do act as normal until it affect them enough. we know this starts inside and once you see it on the outside its already on the organs inside as granulomas.