Yellowfoot laid eggs - Any Incubators near Northern Virginia

TimR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Hi,

My yellow foot tortoise unexpectedly laid 5 eggs. Is there anyone near Northern Virginia that has an incubator to help me hatch the eggs?

I have a female Yellow foot and a male Red foot, so i expect these to be hybrids.

Thanks.
Tim

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi,id

My yellow foot tortoise unexpectedly laid 5 eggs. Is there anyone near Northern Virginia that has an incubator to help me hatch the eggs?

I have a female Yellow foot and a male Red foot, so i expect these to be hybrids.

Thanks.
Tim
You can successfully incubate them in the same type of enclosure that they should be living in:
A humid closed chamber kept at around 82 degrees. If you can't get ahold of a reptile egg incubator

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

Thanks.
Tim
Those eggs should be destroyed, not incubated. Hybrids should never be created.

Also, tortoises should never be housed in pairs, and species should never be mixed.

newt

ma
Those eggs should be destroyed, not incubated. Hybrids should never be created.

Also, tortoises should never be housed in pairs, and species should never be mixed.
Doesn’t seem like the op deliberately tried to create hybrids. It sounds more like an accident. Since this is in captivity and eggs are already laid, there is no need to destroy any viable eggs for the sake of avoiding hybrids.

In aquatic turtles, hybrids are not uncommon and prevalent in captivity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Doesn’t seem like the op deliberately tried to create hybrids. It sounds more like an accident. Since this is in captivity and eggs are already laid, there is no need to destroy any viable eggs for the sake of avoiding hybrids.
I disagree. Strongly.

In aquatic turtles, hybrids are not uncommon and prevalent in captivity.
This is a sad tragedy, and NOT justification to do more of the same.

newt

ma
I disagree. Strongly.

This is a sad tragedy, and NOT justification to do more of the same.
We should not opposing hybridization all together. In scientific world, hybridization is just one path of evolution, even speciation. For pets kept in captivity, hybridization is not an issue because they are isolated from the natural populations. In terms of animal welfare, hybridization is no more than human selection of color mutations or letting the tortoise pyramided.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We should not opposing hybridization all together. In scientific world, hybridization is just one path of evolution, even speciation. For pets kept in captivity, hybridization is not an issue because they are isolated from the natural populations. In terms of animal welfare, hybridization is no more than human selection of color mutations or letting the tortoise pyramided.
Again, I completely disagree with each and every sentence and assert the opposite. Nothing good comes of it, and there is substantial risk and potential detriment. It should not be happening. Not with tortoises, not with fish, not with birds.