Yep, it's a "friendliest" torts recap thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
When I worked at SD Zoo...I would hang out with the Galaps when I got off work...and I have NEVER seen one get aggressive on a human...somewhere in all my Dad's stuff, there's a picture (or two) of me riding a Galap at the SD children's zoo back in the 60s...also me feeding peanuts to the elephants. Yes...they did that back then.

Now...Aladar is going to be 10 in August. He's already flashed a few times in the last year or so! But, he shows no aggression to the smaller torts...even Climber, who, although only two (and the only other male), is growing by leaps and bounds...and we joke that he's gonna be bigger than Aladar by the time he's 5. Nope! Aladar loves everyone...human, tort and dog alike! In fact, when I put Max out...his first instinct is to go stand guard over all the torts!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I thought tiago was friendly...but i got a female cherry yesterday and she is constantly climbing until you stroke her head...
My mother was tickling her head in the bathtub ( not together obviosuly ;) ) she fell asleep :p

mytwotortys

5 Year Member
RE: Yep, it's a "friendliest" torts recap thread.

My oldest hermanns is the friendliest tort you've ever met, if you get her out of the vivarium and put her on the floor to roam she makes a beeline for the nearest pair of feet! She lets you stroke her head, neck (her favourite stroking place :)) and shell without hiding, and you can kiss her head and shell, she loves a cuddle and will climb all over you if you lay down and put her on your stomach! I love both of them, my youngest tort won't properly bite you, just nibble your finger, and when she knows who you are, she's all over you! Theyre both the nosiest little creatures you could ever dream up! Whenever I'm reading a book with them on my stomach, they turn around and investigate what I'm doing, it's hilarious!!!! I swear my biggest can read too lol!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I only have Box Turtles and Cherry Heads, and I've seen them being curious and come to see what you are doing, or to see if you have food. If I dig in my turtle garden, they will actually try to climb on my hand to see what I'm planting or look for a worm. But I've never seen them want to cuddle or like to be handled too much. I have vivariums all over my house, and I don't put any barriers up so they can't see out of the glass. I interact with them whenever I pass by, so they are very used to me and others in my house. I really try not to handle them too much. They are very un-afraid, curious, and intelligent. But that's about it. I have friends who have different tortoises, and box turtles, and I still think they are looking for food, ........not affection or just curious . Just my opinion.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Well, between Cooper my 11 month old sully which I have had since he was 2 months, and Ophelia my 7 year old russian that I have only had 2 or 3 months, Cooper wins hands down. But here again Ophelia wasn't raised by me and my "odd" (I guess) ways. Have a good day! :)

HerpDaDerp26TV

5 Year Member

I adore my Russians! They never nip or bite :)

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong

My star is very friendly, she walks onto my palm. I have not seen her tucked into her shell before, usually just close her eyes when she gets scared (e.g antibiotics injection time). My Red foot is a little grumpy, only comes out for food. Any sudden movement she goes into her shell.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Since Desert Tortoise owners are limited to the areas in which the torts are native, they are very under represented in this poll.

JoeB

5 Year Member
Toledo Ohio
I would add Aldabra to the list of friendly Torts that would follow you around for food.

Status
Not open for further replies.