Yipes! What the Heck is THIS???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I was turning over logs to find worms for Snappy, and I found this one that looks different. I picked it up by its tail and it's got a firm body, not worm-like at all, and upon closer inspection is has eyes on its head! I thought maybe a baby snake. I put it in a little water to wash it off, and I see if also has LEGS! I've never seen a creature like this in all the 25 years I've lived here:

lizard.jpg

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I was turning over logs to find worms for Snappy, and I found this one that looks different. I picked it up by its tail and it's got a firm body, not worm-like at all, and upon closer inspection is has eyes on its head! I thought maybe a baby snake. I put it in a little water to wash it off, and I see if also has LEGS! I've never seen a creature like this in all the 25 years I've lived here:

View attachment 290628
?? has to be a type of amphibious creature maybe a salamander i’m not Sure TBH.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So, I put it back where I found it, but will it survive there once it stops raining and we get back into dry mode? Should I have put it out by the pond?

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I find similar looking specimens in my yard every year. They like to get under water containers, planters, logs, etc. The first year they came to my attention I had found some eggs under a terra cotta pot and thought they might be slug eggs. After some time with your friend Google I discovered they were salamander eggs and left them as I found them. I love having these guys around. I like to think it validates my decision not to use pesticides or herbicides in my yard as amphibians are bellweathers of environmental conditions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love salamanders. I can not believe you never saw one before. All the tort enclosures you have had to build and rebuild, pond etc it's amazing you haven't seen a lot of them.
I used to dig thru and under rotted damp logs, leaves, etc as a kid to find them. Haven't seen one for years.

jeneliza

burton michigan

View attachment 290628
Salamander, or possibly a skink, but pretty sure it's a type of salamandor

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Miniature dragon?? Hahaha~