Yo!

Karechan

Location (City and/or State)
Pacific, Missouri
Hello! I'm Karechan.

I'm an experienced pet owner but not so much with reptiles. My experience has largely been with dogs and small mammals, particularly rats.

I'm starting the process of looking for a Russian Tortoise and hope you guys can help me out with various questions and whatnot throughout the ownership experience.

Thank you!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello! I'm Karechan.

I'm an experienced pet owner but not so much with reptiles. My experience has largely been with dogs and small mammals, particularly rats.

I'm starting the process of looking for a Russian Tortoise and hope you guys can help me out with various questions and whatnot throughout the ownership experience.

Thank you!

Welcome to TFO! You've come to the best place to learn all about Russians, and tortoises in general.

If you haven't read these, it's a great place to start!

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! Keep in mind that an adult Russian requires a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet. We have a very good Russian breeder here (@Carol S), so be sure to see if she has hatchlings available. Unless you want an older one, of course.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hi and welcome! I'd like to add that if you are looking for an adult Russian I see them listed on Craigslist all the time and they are always in small aquariums and not being cared for very well. You could rescue one of those poor souls and give it a great life!
I rescued one a few months ago and I'm looking for a good home for him... too bad you're so far away from me. Maybe it's my imagination but the one I rescued seems so "happy" and at peace now compared to when I first got him. It's been a heartwarming experience.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Russians are great little tortoises. Get a captive bred one from a good breeder and you'll have a much better experience than if you buy a wild caught one from a pet store.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum!

It’s hard for me not to encourage rescuing one from Craig’s List. It’s true they often come with issues but they are scrappers and I’m a sucker for rescues.