You love what!

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CT New Haven.
I’m really happy to find this forum because I believe some ppl find it hard to believe that I have a tortoise that i care about as much as my family. If there was a million dollars in one hand and my tortoise in the other, having to choose one , my tortoise would win hands down! I’m 43 and had him since I was 15. That’s through adolescence, relationship problems, all the good times as well as the bad. This Russian tortoise has major personality. He is a ham and has taught me how to love and the responsibility of caring for others. I just want to thank those whom feel similar and understand that they can be wonderful companions.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’m really happy to find this forum because I believe some ppl find it hard to believe that I have a tortoise that i care about as much as my family. If there was a million dollars in one hand and my tortoise in the other, having to choose one , my tortoise would win hands down! I’m 43 and had him since I was 15. That’s through adolescence, relationship problems, all the good times as well as the bad. This Russian tortoise has major personality. He is a ham and has taught me how to love and the responsibility of caring for others. I just want to thank those whom feel similar and understand that they can be wonderful companions.
You've come to the right place.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
I’m really happy to be able to read so much information about torts from the people on this forum. I have learned more great things in a short period even though I have been exposed to reptiles for a long time. When I was a small child I moved around frequently so I could not get a pet that was easily transported. My first pet was bearded dragon. That broke the ice and started my fascination and bond. I really enjoyed the time with them. One of my earliest memories is the phone call received from my father breaking the news that my second pet, Bob had passed away. Not taken well I might add! Bob was a common box turtle whom was named after my uncle. He was old, bald and wrinkly. By age 12 after Bob’s passing was iguana time. Boy what a great time it was. Iggy would climb up the sliding glass doors curtain to bask in the sun light. I read as much as I could but at the time but books were not abundant. Grammar school, middle school to high school spending time with green friends. Even taking them with me on vacations. At fifteen I liberated Duckster a Russian tortoise from Pet Co. so literally speaking “Bob’s your uncle “ he we are now! Partners in crime since. Been through it all together good times and the bad. My quiet friend has been as much as my guardian as I am for him. I’m enjoying all the time we have. Keeping him healthy and safe. Always learning from other people that are as passionate as me! Other’s that have their own history.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
HAHA obvious your russian is much nicer! For mine I am the food bringer and interrupter of tortoise business! I would just need to see the new digs before I shipped his grumpy butt off. If I was too slow my wife would make a 3 for 1 deal- a Russian, a Leopard, and their caretaker ?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Can you share pics of your tortoise? Glad to have you on the forum! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love my torts, but for a million dollars, I'd gladly give them all away. I'll even personally deliver them anywhere in the USA. If someone is going to pay one million dollars for them, I know they will be well cared for. Then, with a million dollars, I can buy new ones and enjoy raising them all over again!

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
I love my torts, but for a million dollars, I'd gladly give them all away. I'll even personally deliver them anywhere in the USA. If someone is going to pay one million dollars for them, I know they will be well cared for. Then, with a million dollars, I can buy new ones and enjoy raising them all over again!
The next thing I want to address is really polarized. Do torts have feelings? If so to what extent. My opinion is they do. I’ll be of my torts is very social. He is not afraid of humans at all. He is also very routine. One thing he enjoys is back rubs. So if you rub his back he just relishes the interaction. I’ll often when you stop he lets you know he’s upset a little. He gives a little mad puff. The ones the only tortoise owners pick up on. Of course he likes it. Who wouldn’t. But another one I have hates most interactions. I really don’t know how the majority act but clearly see the difference. This is one thing to write about. But over time let’s see if how far we can build on this. So joy is felt. Pleasure. Torts can’t smile of frown but a good owner can read a face. Those little eyes are tells. A soft content observation or stiff stare. Dogs wag tails. Torts have to interpreted even that can differ. This is a slow build. What else. I would like to hear about how other owners notice happy joyful moments.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The next thing I want to address is really polarized. Do torts have feelings? If so to what extent. My opinion is they do. I’ll be of my torts is very social. He is not afraid of humans at all. He is also very routine. One thing he enjoys is back rubs. So if you rub his back he just relishes the interaction. I’ll often when you stop he lets you know he’s upset a little. He gives a little mad puff. The ones the only tortoise owners pick up on. Of course he likes it. Who wouldn’t. But another one I have hates most interactions. I really don’t know how the majority act but clearly see the difference. This is one thing to write about. But over time let’s see if how far we can build on this. So joy is felt. Pleasure. Torts can’t smile of frown but a good owner can read a face. Those little eyes are tells. A soft content observation or stiff stare. Dogs wag tails. Torts have to interpreted even that can differ. This is a slow build. What else. I would like to hear about how other owners notice happy joyful moments.
You've made a lot of assumptions here that can't be verified. What makes you think the tortoise loves back rubs? What behavior is the tortoise doing that makes you think it likes this?

A "mad" puff? Why are you assuming it is mad? How do you know its not a sigh of relief that you are finally leaving him alone?

Back to your original question: Animal behavior is my job, career, hobby, passion, and its one of my college degrees. Do tortoises have feelings? Yes. Certainly fear, if that is a feeling. To me, anecdotally, they appear to show contentment when they are warm, with a full belly, resting in the shade on a warm day. Joy? Not so sure about that one. Pleasure? Maybe. Don't know how we could assess that or quantify it.

Are you familiar with the term anthropomorphism? If not, look it up.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
I recently posted about this on the sticky thread somewhere on this topic. Ascribing human interpretations of feelings to animals can be detrimental to the animals, as doing so raises expectations past what they can, perhaps, rise to. However, it's equally detrimental to assume that we have a corner on emotions and feelings. The fact is that we don't know. So we should approach with caution.

I am fascinated by the fact that my tortoise would apparently rather interact with me than eat. I can give her a meal of her favorite foods, but if I hang around to watch or take pix, she leaves her food and comes to me instead. If I leave, she gives up and goes to eat. What does this mean? I like to think it means that she somehow likes me and enjoys the head rubs and shell scratches I provide. I don't know and am OK with not knowing. But it is important to note that recent experiments on dogs showed interest and surprise that dogs would choose their owners over food. This seemed to suggest a strong bond. Would this be different for tortoises?

It's all very interesting. I enjoy living with a dinosaur and trying to figure out what floats her little red-footed boat. :)