Young Aldabra question...

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
I have two young Aldabras. One is 5", and one is 6". They are apprimately 6 months old. Can anyone tell me the approximate size they will be next summer? I'm trying to make plans for their enclosure, and need an approximate size they will be.

Thank you!'

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's just about impossible. All torts grow at their own pace. As you may already know. If it were me, I would build the adult enclosure and section a portion off if they are too small for it next year.@ALDABRAMAN might be able to give you the best guess. Keep in mind it also depends on what and how they are fed too.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
That's just about impossible. All torts grow at their own pace. As you may already know. If it were me, I would build the adult enclosure and section a portion off if they are too small for it next year.@ALDABRAMAN might be able to give you the best guess. Keep in mind it also depends on what and how they are fed too.

Yes, I'm aware if that. That's the reason I asked for an approximate size.

Last edited by a moderator:

ogmoses

10 Year Member!
I have two young Aldabras. One is 5", and one is 6". They are apprimately 6 months old. Can anyone tell me the approximate size they will be next summer? I'm trying to make plans for their enclosure, and need an approximate size they will be.

Thank you!'
thats a little bit hard to answer. but in my situation (socal sun) lots of grass and weeds as main diet, my sheldon went from 6plus" inches to 9" but these guy really love to roam and honestly i used the entire backyard starting at 6" sheldon has roughly 4000SQF of grass and stamped rock concert and uses every bit of it. he is always investigating shade spots.

please note this does not included a 5' x 12' night pen that he does not use (to big for him still)

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Hard to take care of? No, not really, or at least no harder than any other large species. Aldabras do grow a lot faster than Sulcatas, for example, & I'm going to post the growth rates for our 4 as soon as my wife gives her spreadsheet to me, but I'll post it as a new thread that I can update regularly.

Ken

franz_see

Philippines

Thank you!'

I actually have a formula for that :)

First of all, it's true that every tortoise grows at different rate. Secondly, not all tortoises are born the same size. If the mom is big, the hatchling can be big as well. This makes it very difficult to know what size a tortoise (not just aldabras) can/should be at a certain age.

However, they do have practically constant growth rates! :)

What that mean is that, if he grew by 20% in weight in one month time, you can expect him to grow another 20% by the next month. And so on, and so forth. Which is why when you see a growth chart, you'd almost always see exponential growth. But chart that as growth rate, and you'll almost see a flat line :)

The rate actually reduces as they grow bigger (i.e. From 20% to 19% to 18% etc). But the decrease is gradual. And for all intents and purposes, you can assume same growth rate on the next month :)

So what that means is that you'd have to observe first. Check how much he grows over a period of time. From there, you can extrapolate to a certain degree of accuracy ;)