Young female issues - will she grow out of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Hi all,
I've posted before about my Redfoot, Rita, and her learning to lay issues. A quick history: Rita is about 9 years old, she mated the first time last Spring. She dug and dug and dug and wouldn't lay anything. Around Fall she laid 7 eggs (mostly healthy, a couple with extra calcium). All this while she's still digging nests like crazy. Hasn't been with a male since Spring - almost a year.

Fast forward to winter where they live in a lighted, heated shed and yesterday. It was warm enough to have them out and she dug 3 nests but didn't lay (she's been able to be out 2-3 other times this winter, same behavior).

Meanwhile she's eating and acting normal. Today I check on them and she laid 12 eggs on the floor of the shed! All are good looking eggs although she crushed one. She's a small gal, maybe 4 pounds.

sorry for the long post...anyone have experience with gals that just don't seem to 'get it?' Will she grow out of it? Or will she be this finicky forever?

My plan is to continue keeping her from the boys for another few years, maybe some age and growth will help.

Thoughts?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
You're looking at it the wrong way.......

Young Females may need a season or two to get things right, but the issues you are facing have very little to do with this. The problem I see here is the fact that the Female is trying to nest, but doesn't have the correct substrate or conditions to do this in......This is evidenced by the fact that so many test holes are being dug and eggs are still being layed without successful nesting.......

A female may dig test holes when placed in a new environment, but constantly digging test holes is a sign that something in the nesting process is not correct. They have a pretty good idea of where they should nest without ever digging a test hole to begin with.....

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
I totally agree with you...however, I can only supply so many places to lay. I have 1/3 acre of a yard with more than one type of soil/substraite/etc. All 4 of my other females find a place to lay.

I also have tried EVERY possible combination of substraite, heat, depth, moisture, ect. in indoor nesting boxes.

Not saying I'm still not doing something wrong but is it possible she's just REALLY, REALLY, picky?

Status
Not open for further replies.