YOUNG PAIR OF GALOPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
These belong to a friend of mine located here in Florida. The female actually laid eggs last year for the first time!

mud1so.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Q said:
Wow they look similar to Aldabras! Beautiful torts :)

Way different, check out the young males head, very wide! He was very curious and kept smelling our shoes!

* What i loved was the distinctive growth lines, they are kept in a large field and allowed to naturally browse for food on grass and weeds!

rhq0ch.jpg

Here is comparison pictures of a female galop and aldab.

1zp1xz8.jpg

2vkm241.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wellington said:
Nice. So they young one on the other thread. Yours or your friends from these two?

:rolleyes: No, those belong to a different friend!

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
ALDABRAMAN said:
Q said:
Wow they look similar to Aldabras! Beautiful torts :)

Way different, check out the young males head, very wide! He was very curious and kept smelling our shoes!

* What i loved was the distinctive growth lines, they are kept in a large field and allowed to naturally browse for food on grass and weeds!

Here is comparison pictures of a female galop and aldab.

Oh gosh yours has the cutest little mouth.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Sweet!

The overall size and color are similar between Galapagos and Aldabras, but some of the details of the carapace shape and scute pattern are different. Of course, the head is the giveaway; Galapagos have higher nostrils than Aldabras. Basically, both have giant dark bodies, but Galapagos have a face more like that of a Chaco, redfoot, or yellowfoot (to which they are more closely related genetically); while Aldabrans have a face more similar to that of a radiated, angonoka, or Pyxis tortoise (to which they are more closely related genetically). :)

AldabraMan, I get the impression from your OP that Galapagos are more difficult to breed in captivity than Aldabras. Is that correct?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I missed this last night. Fantastic! If your friends are ever successful at getting hatchlings, you know who wants one, or three... :D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Sweet!

The overall size and color are similar between Galapagos and Aldabras, but some of the details of the carapace shape and scute pattern are different. Of course, the head is the giveaway; Galapagos have higher nostrils than Aldabras. Basically, both have giant dark bodies, but Galapagos have a face more like that of a Chaco, redfoot, or yellowfoot (to which they are more closely related genetically); while Aldabrans have a face more similar to that of a radiated, angonoka, or Pyxis tortoise (to which they are more closely related genetically). :)

AldabraMan, I get the impression from your OP that Galapagos are more difficult to breed in captivity than Aldabras. Is that correct?

That is one great question, actually it could be a thread by itself in the debate or breeding section. I know of many that have galops and aldabra, very few have success and if any it is small in volume. I will share that the majority of keepers/breeders that i have spoken with share one common denominator, large mature males!

ap8fer.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.