Arizona
These guys just make me wish I was 30 years younger. :(

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Tom said:
I missed this last night. Fantastic! If your friends are ever successful at getting hatchlings, you know who wants one, or three... :D

The group that Jeff Gee was advertising has been relocated to Florida. The new owner(s) have contacted me for some information and they indicated that the group has successfully produced ten hatchlings so far. If they start producing here in Florida, maybe some will be available for purchase to the open public. The price on these little guys are very high! As far as i know of there are only a very small number produced in the US, and the zoos seems very selective as to who they go to. These were originally purchased by a friend of mine who lived on Marco Island, Florida from Life Fellowship located in Tampa, Florida. He raised them up from hatchlings and then sold them to where they are currently located, still in Florida, however more North and colder weather. Having eggs is the first step, however i am at odds with the young/immature male and his size. His tail is very short. I have been told that a female galop can produce eggs at 14 years of age, interesting!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
ALDABRAMAN said:
That is one great question, actually it could be a thread by itself in the debate or breeding section. I know of many that have galops and aldabra, very few have success and if any it is small in volume. I will share that the majority of keepers/breeders that i have spoken with share one common denominator, large mature males!

Interesting. I have heard similar things about their cousin, the redfoot tortoise, and that male-male combat is important for fertile mating with female. Not necessarily because the females observe the winner, but because fighting increases testosterone, and increases sperm count. :tort:

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
ALDABRAMAN said:
Tom said:
I missed this last night. Fantastic! If your friends are ever successful at getting hatchlings, you know who wants one, or three... :D

The group that Jeff Gee was advertising has been relocated to Florida. The new owner(s) have contacted me for some information and they indicated that the group has successfully produced ten hatchlings so far. If they start producing here in Florida, maybe some will be available for purchase to the open public. The price on these little guys are very high! As far as i know of there are only a very small number produced in the US, and the zoos seems very selective as to who they go to. These were originally purchased by a friend of mine who lived on Marco Island, Florida from Life Fellowship located in Tampa, Florida. He raised them up from hatchlings and then sold them to where they are currently located, still in Florida, however more North and colder weather. Having eggs is the first step, however i am at odds with the young/immature male and his size. His tail is very short. I have been told that a female galop can produce eggs at 14 years of age, interesting!

Well that sounds like pretty good news! I would seriously love to be involved with some of these animals. I think Galops might be more appropriate for me here in AZ than aldabras, in spite of the cost difference. I will be watching closely to see how things go for this group. Even if I can only help raise some hatchlings up for 2-3 decades before I die, that would be a pretty cool experience. I would love to pass on some 30 year old Galops to my reptile loving son when I pass!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
GeoTerraTestudo said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
That is one great question, actually it could be a thread by itself in the debate or breeding section. I know of many that have galops and aldabra, very few have success and if any it is small in volume. I will share that the majority of keepers/breeders that i have spoken with share one common denominator, large mature males!

Interesting. I have heard similar things about their cousin, the redfoot tortoise, and that male-male combat is important for fertile mating with female. Not necessarily because the females observe the winner, but because fighting increases testosterone, and increases sperm count. :tort:

Interesting you mention that, we have noticed a distinctive increase in our males "pushing" each other around this year ever since we added a new large male to our breeding colony. I am very interested to see if our fertility counts are effected this year!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ALDABRAMAN said:
Interesting you mention that, we have noticed a distinctive increase in our males "pushing" each other around this year ever since we added a new large male to our breeding colony. I am very interested to see if our fertility counts are effected this year!

I am very interested too! In fact, I'm very interested in EVERYTHING you and your herd can teach me.

I've heard about the male combat thing for many species of reptile. So far, I have not needed to employ that technique, but it's a good trick to know, I think.

There is also the phenomenon of the "super" male. I've seen this in sulcatas, leopards, Russians, marginated and CDTs. Every once in a while you come across a male that is just super revved up for some reason. They are hyper aware and hyper sexual. They dominate everything in their territory and breed anything and everything constantly. My leopard breeder talked about a big 75 pound male he had. He described him like a pinball bouncing from female to female. He kept breaking down walls to go fight other males or breed females. My Scooter is like this too. He just walks around and you can see from a mile away that he is large and in charge. Bert, my other adult male, is just more normal. He still breeds, but he's not a maniac about it. I don't know if this occurs in the true giant species of tortoise, but it would sure be neat if you found one like that.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Super male? who mentioned me?

I have also heard of the fighting=testosterone raising, I wonder if anyone has actual numbers.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
ALDABRAMAN said:

I am very interested too! In fact, I'm very interested in EVERYTHING you and your herd can teach me.

I've heard about the male combat thing for many species of reptile. So far, I have not needed to employ that technique, but it's a good trick to know, I think.

There is also the phenomenon of the "super" male. I've seen this in sulcatas, leopards, Russians, marginated and CDTs. Every once in a while you come across a male that is just super revved up for some reason. They are hyper aware and hyper sexual. They dominate everything in their territory and breed anything and everything constantly. My leopard breeder talked about a big 75 pound male he had. He described him like a pinball bouncing from female to female. He kept breaking down walls to go fight other males or breed females. My Scooter is like this too. He just walks around and you can see from a mile away that he is large and in charge. Bert, my other adult male, is just more normal. He still breeds, but he's not a maniac about it. I don't know if this occurs in the true giant species of tortoise, but it would sure be neat if you found one like that.

I think it does in the gallops, but not normally in the aldabra. I have had over fifteen males over the years trying to figure out what works and have never noticed any dominance behavior in any of them to speak of. Our new male (Alfa) is not the "pushy one, it is Cowboy. We have observed Cowboy just start pushing Alfa, sorta like trying to get him out of his area. Alfa use to just take it and move on, now, because of his massive size and weight, he pushes back and pushes Cowboy about 30 feet or so and just walks away without further issue. We were taken back by this behavior at first, however breeding is great this year, unsure if it is better or more active because we have had great results with the group we have had prior to Alfa. I wish i had video of this "Pushy thing going on", it is really at odds with the aldabra species. One of my friends that has adult gallops witnesses this every year with gallops, but not his aldabras. In fact he says the male gallops push the aldabra males all over the place, like they have no idea how to participate or play that game. Of course he never gets fertility, that is another story. I keep great records, even stats that might seem silly, and i am anxious to see if our fertility levels increase with the presence of another breeder male. To my knowledge we have the best true breeder ratios in the US, 4.7. I actually just declined another male (big & young) thinking he might offset the ratios two much. Our females seem very comfortable with the additional male, this was initially a concern. Maybe we should start a new thread in the breeding or debate section, this is the kind of discussions and information i love to learn about and hear every one experiences and opinions.

"KEEPER AT HEART"

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Neat information and discussion in here! Look forward to hearing more.

Thanks for sharing.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
RE: YOUNG PAIR OF GALOPS

ALDABRAMAN said:
Here is comparison pictures of a female galop and aldab.

1zp1xz8.jpg

2vkm241.jpg

The difference is very noticeable now that there is a side by side picture. They are both beautiful!

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas

mightymizz said:

Thanks for sharing

I love it when Tom and Aldabraman are commenting on the same thread-- I learn so much!! Thank you Greg for the comparison pictures and pointing out the difference :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida

BodaTort1 said:
mightymizz said:

Thanks for sharing

Thank you Greg for the comparison pictures and pointing out the difference

:)

reticguy76

5 Year Member

Out of the two, aldabras and galops, which (if either) would be best suited for permanent Arizona weather and physical surroundings/habitat ??

N2TORTS

5 Year Member

Nice looking Lop's ......I have a buddy out here in HB that has a pair almost identical to those..........beautiful for sure! :D

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona

Very interesting thread:) I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts:)

Status
Not open for further replies.