Young Redfoot Tortoise Slow Weight Gain

TanktheTortoise3

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello Tortoise Enthusiasts! I purchased my redfoot tortoise, Tank, about three months ago. When I bought him, he weighed 48 grams and had a carapace length of about 2.2 inches. I weighed him each week since and most recently, I weighed him last week and he was at his highest weight of 63 grams and about a 2.7 inch long carapace length. I felt like this growth may be a little slow for a redfoot and want to make sure he is healthy. He eats and poops everyday however, even though some days he only eats a little, so I feel it may be okay, but I just wanted some of your experienced opinions. Also, any advice on how much weight he should gain in the future would be great.
Thanks,
The owner of Tank the redfoot tortoise

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Hello,
They are all different so comparing is kind of
difficult. My Sheldon is a cherryhead. Supposed to be a smaller version if a redfoot, but that
varies also.
At 2.5 inches I have entries between 49-53 grams. And at 2.75 was 68 grams.
Your tank sounds fine. Keep him hydrated.
Water his greens.
Last time I measured Sheldon, his SCL was 7 inches and he was 4.5 lbs. He is 7 yrs old. They will naturally gain weight as they grow.
Someday they eat more than other days.
Offer variety of foods with the chopped up spring mix, etc.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Weighing a baby tortoise every week is nerve wracking because so many things cause fluctuations. Especially hydration levels.
I advise only weighing once a month. And steady gains are what you want.
As long as you have an active, eating and drinking tortoise I wouldn't be too concerned about the weight as long as it increases month to month.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Just ensure that his diet is the correct one and that the temps and humidity are the right ones for that species, so that you can know that if there is a problem, it's not your fault. Keep weighing him as advised.

TanktheTortoise3

Pennsylvania
Update:
It has been about a month and a half since my last post, and Tank is still weighing in at the 60-65 gram range. However, he is still very active, eats daily, goes to the bathroom and looks healthy. I have read many posts about weight and it seems he will start to take off and gain a lot of weight soon, but I am a little concerned that he hasn’t gained weight in the last month. He has an ambient temperature of around 83, with some spots at the highest 87, has a humidity from 70-90% throughout the day, and I soak him daily. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tank the Tortoise’s owner