Young Sulcata Diet Help

Kane Griffith

Hey All,

I have a young Sulcata, how old is actually Unknown. I've had him 6 months and he's roughly about 160/200g grams so hes still a little baby.

Anyway. There are thousands of diets links and sheets on this site alone but I'm trying to explore new options in terms of food because I think I'm not giving him enough different choice + he's literally eating everything and anything lol

He eats fresh grass and weeds such as dandelion, hibiscus flowers and leaves, dried grasses not sure which ones and other things but I'm at work and can't think without looking into my fridge ( sorry guys )

If you could suggest some other easy to obtain foods id really grateful

Also he's chopping away at his cuttlefish bone quiet regularly ? Is this a normal thing ? He gets cal/vit sup powder put on his food too

Many thanks Kane

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/64290/

That link will take you to a long list of options! Your baby is definitely on th small side, but that's great he's eating anything and everything.. Have you ever tried some mazuri? That should give you another option. Otherwise, the link will give you plenty. If you provide cuttlefish, you don't need to give him calcium/vitamin supplements over his food, that's too much calcium. Does he get plenty of sun?

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Blake is correct; adding Mazuri tortoise chow to his diet is the way to go. I'm not sure why he's eating so much cuttlebone AND the supplement powder, but that much calcium can lead to kidney stones (speaking from experience). We feed the juveniles we rescue primarily hibiscus flowers & leaves, cactus, & Mazuri three times a week. Fresh fruits are a weekly treat, & occasional dark-leafed vegetables. Just remember that Sulcatas are opportunistic eaters in the wild, so don't overstuff him.

Ken

Kane Griffith

Hey guys thanks for the replies

He's got a UV light in his tank that's on during the day (and heat a heat bulb) and as its cold here at the moment he's not getting outside that much. But recent months have been hot and he's been outside for few hours everyday.

Ok I'll stop the vit powder since he's chomping away at the cuttle fish bone.

I haven't tried Mazuri but I'll give it a go and see if he goes for it. Any particular brand you'd recommend or doesn't it matter too much ?

Thanks again for getting back to me

Kane :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Kane Griffith and a very warm welcome to the forum!

Please post pics of your torts as well as his enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey All,

I have a young Sulcata, how old is actually Unknown. I've had him 6 months and he's roughly about 160/200g grams so hes still a little baby.

Anyway. There are thousands of diets links and sheets on this site alone but I'm trying to explore new options in terms of food because I think I'm not giving him enough different choice + he's literally eating everything and anything lol

He eats fresh grass and weeds such as dandelion, hibiscus flowers and leaves, dried grasses not sure which ones and other things but I'm at work and can't think without looking into my fridge ( sorry guys )

If you could suggest some other easy to obtain foods id really grateful

Also he's chopping away at his cuttlefish bone quiet regularly ? Is this a normal thing ? He gets cal/vit sup powder put on his food too

Many thanks Kane

There is a lot of confusing misinformation out there in the world. Most of it is old, out-dated and based on incorrect assumptions.

This short thread contains of list of good foods that you might already have growing around you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Read these for care tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Read these and then please ask questions and let us explain why you are seeing these contradictions.