young three-toed boxie doesn't use hind legs

mukmewx

I have this young (under 3 years) box turtle who doesn't favor his hind legs, he only uses them when food is out of his reach and then it's only after he has tried and tried with only his front legs. I put him in his pond and he only uses his front legs to get out, which takes a long time, He eats well, eats phoenix worms, red wigglers, super worms and nibbles at tomato. I have tried soaking him to no avail. He uses his hind legs more if I hold him. He is also starting to get an overgrown beak. I dust the superworms and red wigglers with calcium carbonate powder. He lives with another boxie of the same age who is doing very well and has gotten noticeably bigger (they were the same size). They both live in a 6 by 6 outdoor pin.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think,this one is probably getting bullied and doesn't do much but hide. I would seperate them and see if he gets better. If not, then some hydrotherapy probably would help him.
Hydrotherapy helped my rescue to walk. Put your Boxie in warm deep water where he has to swim, using his legs to do so. If he just sinks, then with placing just a finger or two between his front legs and just under his shell, hold him up just enough so,his head stays out of the water. Do this every day even twice a day until he can walk better.

mukmewx

Thanks! I will try and separate them. They often hide in the same hole, is this a product of the other bulling? Also I know aquaiums are a no-no, but I have this 50 gallon, I could put wrapping paper on the sides so he can't see out?

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
Minimum size of 4X4 is required, though bigger is always better and bigger may encourage more movement and walking. Try going for 6X6 like you have for the other one.
This could also be a calcium deficiency. I know you said you dust the food with calcium supplement, but you also said you feed tomatoes. How often do you feed tomatoes? They're high in phosphorus which will throw off the calcium:phosphorus ratio and cause a calcium deficiency. Also, does the supplement have Vitamin D3? Reason I ask is because if he is being bullied (sounds completely possible especially with the sharing of sleeping quarters) he could possibly be hiding all the time and never bask in the sun which will greatly reduce the production of D3 which is needed for calcium absorption. If you are going to be keeping him inside, a calcium supplement with D3 is necessary, along with a UVB strip bulb in addition to a basking UVA bulb or a Mercury Vapor Bulb which produces heat UVA and UVB all in one bulb.