young thunderbolt/hermann has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

debby

5 Year Member
2 weeks ago i lost my baby hermann. he recieved all the right care. we offered all differnt types of tortoise foods. he never put on weight he didnt seem to eat much. im still waiting for the breeder to come and collect him to hopefully have a postmortem done to find out why he died . our other hermann is absolutely fine. i cleaned everything out . both being young . i didnt realise how difficult they can be to look after. hopefully the next totroise will be a bit older. but reading everyones threads have been most helpful. debby

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Debby,
I am so sorry to hear your loss :(. What was the temp in the enclosure, what was the substrate and what were you feeding him? It must be a horrible time for you :(. It is not easy to take care of a little hatchlings. I got my Hermy (my first and only tortoise) when he was about 2 years. I really hope the breeder will give you an older tortoise, did you ask him yet?
Good luck :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Hatchlings are very fragile and hard to care for. I am sorry for your loss, but don't blame yourself, I believe that only very experienced should keep younger tortoises, like I said they are very fragile...I am sorry for you, we all on this forum certainly know how you feel...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Debby, welcome to the forum. It is a bitter sweet welcome under the circumstances. But we are glad you are here.

I am sorry for your loss. I know how difficult it can be. If I may ask how long did you have your little baby Hermann? And did he have a name? Again sorry for your loss, but glad the other is doing well. What is your existing Hermanns name?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Debby: I'm so very sorry that you lost your little Hermann's tortoise. Babies are pretty hard for the new keeper to raise and can get sick pretty quickly without showing any symptoms until its almost too late to help them. I'm glad the other baby seems fine. Keep reading our posts here and keep learning. And, of course, feel free to join in whenever the spirit moves you!

Yvonne

spring pace

5 Year Member
topanga, california
debby said:
2 weeks ago i lost my baby hermann. he recieved all the right care. we offered all differnt types of tortoise foods. he never put on weight he didnt seem to eat much. im still waiting for the breeder to come and collect him to hopefully have a postmortem done to find out why he died . our other hermann is absolutely fine. i cleaned everything out . both being young . i didnt realise how difficult they can be to look after. hopefully the next totroise will be a bit older. but reading everyones threads have been most helpful. debby

sorry for your loss debbie, i was a brand new tort owner when i lost marilyn, teeny tiny sulcata. her hatchmate galileo was a bit stronger, but he too got very sick and i almost lost him. todays hes a whopping 27#s and he just had a great checkup report today. good luck w/ your other hermanni. smiles, spring

debby

5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
Debby, welcome to the forum. It is a bitter sweet welcome under the circumstances. But we are glad you are here.

I am sorry for your loss. I know how difficult it can be. If I may ask how long did you have your little baby Hermann? And did he have a name? Again sorry for your loss, but glad the other is doing well. What is your existing Hermanns name?
we had thunderbolt about 2 months he was an 08 baby. my other hermmie is called lightening and is doing very well. eating lots. im not sure what sex it is. but its so funny.she trys to climb the wall and we caught her in time before she landed on her back.
sunday my family and i went to paignton zoo which is local to us and we saw quite a few giant tortoises including the one that was on the news recently i will try to post a pic.thanks for all your thought replies.

/Users/deborahharris/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/family time july 09_2/SV200510.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.