Your smile for the day...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Yesterday I was driving down the state highway that goes by our house. There are 2 lanes in each direction with a raised median, and enters onto a big interstate highway.
The traffic on my side was really backed up in both lanes, and I noticed vehicles pulling around something in the right-most lane, so I figured there must be a broken down vehicle or something. But NO! When I got up there I saw a really BIG slider of some sort crossing the highway!!! Cars were intentionally avoiding him, even causing a back-up!
By the time I got to him, he had made it up to the median, and was sitting there looking a little confused. I put my car in park, turned on my emergency flashers and jumped out to try and grab him. He took one look at me and started to RUN across the median, which would have plunged him into the oncoming traffic (coming off the Interstate) in the other direction, so I stopped. He must not have liked the traffic, because he turned around and ran back across the median, onto the street and :eek: UNDER MY CAR.
By now, the traffic was really backed up, cars were honking at me and people were shouting at me (this is a family-friendly forum, so I won't post what they were shouting. :mad:) I figured that despite my best intentions, this was just not the time or place for me to rescue that guy. I got in my car and drove V-E-R-Y slowly forward, expecting to feel a bump at any minute :(, but did not. Looking back in my rear view mirror, he was intact and in the center of the lane.

On my way back home, I braced myself in preparation for seeing a squashed turtle in the road. But NO!!!!! There was NO SIGN of him, alive OR dead any where near the intersection where he had been!!!!:)

To me, that means either A) enough people avoided him that he was able to get safely off the road, or B) somebody (probably 2 somebodies) were able to corral him and get him off the highway. :):):)

Regardless, it was really heartwarming to see how many people on a busy highway were willing to avoid squashing a turtle!!! :<3: