Your thoughts on Ironman...

tigerRNmeg

We got our sully, Tony Stark, the week before Christmas. We've never owned a Sulcata, only box turtles. Even though we did our endless research to set up his habitat and prepare for him, we're having to change things up a bit and we're learning lots along the way;) We've had to change his substrate 3 times to find what he likes! I've changed and moved the bulbs up & down a gazillion times. We've moved the lid on and off and partially on/off to try to get the humidity right. I've puréed veggies I thought I'd never buy to try to find the perfect combo of nutrients for him that he likes! With all this being said, we're 99% sure we're on the right track. I'm looking for other sully owners opinions on how he looks. I've posted lots of pictures. He's active, does a lot of soaking on his own, eats well, etc. I'm just looking for someone's opinion on how his eyes and shell look. I've attached pictures of the bulbs I'm using as well. Sometimes his eyes look like they have a whitish film around them. The Powersun bulb is 19 inches from the top of his shell and the heat emitter hangs about 10 inches over his water/soaking dish. I leave the heat emitter on 24/7 and the Powersun only during daylight hours. I use coconut fiber now as his substrate. His temp on the cool side is around 80-85 and the warm side 90-95 with the hot spot at about 100. He never seems to bask and he's always hanging out in his hideaways. He has 2 now;) Do you think the temp is too high? Because he also loves to soak on his own. Anyway, any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated! Please see attached photos.
Meagan (and Tony)ImageUploadedByTortForum1389227959.244861.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389227975.904176.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389227989.786920.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389228016.746205.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389228030.109382.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389228042.498274.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389228062.495332.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389228085.641642.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389228106.976637.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389228124.898930.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
There is no question you did your homework!
In general ( I don't own this species) your baby looks very healthy!
You will get plenty of feedback.

You have done a very nice job!!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
He looks pretty good. Keep the lid on. Cover the top as much as possible. I don't think you can get the humidity too high. Be careful to not over heat though. Might need a thermostat for the CHE to avoid overheating and to keep the ambient temp stable. Don't know what to tell you about him not basking. Keep an eye on that. You might need to make some adjustments if he continues to hide all the time. Are his hides dark?

tigerRNmeg

I purée kale with his food only because he's a hatchling. Can hatchlings eat leafy foods without chopping or pureeing fine?
Is the slight pyramiding indicative of a dry start? Will it take him a while to get used to the damper climate I'm providing?
Is no basking a huge problem? I'm just thinking maybe the temp is too high since he's always in a hideaway or water bowl...unless food is present. I have 3 thermometers in there. When I tried to go cooler he looked ill. Would barely move.
I'm really looking forward to summer. I live in south louisiana and I know he will absolutely live it.

Love no live. Dang Autocorrect;)

No, his hides aren't dark. It may appear that way in the pic though. He's always getting super messy in the new substrate. My husband jokes that Tony needs a job because trying to get this habitat straight has costed a small fortune lol

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I believe that your sulcata will love growing up in Louisiana. I like dark hides for babies. Lets the get away and feel secure. Not sure if that is related to your "basking" problem.

Jenblalock003

tigerRNmeg said:
I purée kale with his food only because he's a hatchling. Can hatchlings eat leafy foods without chopping or pureeing fine?
Is the slight pyramiding indicative of a dry start? Will it take him a while to get used to the damper climate I'm providing?
Is no basking a huge problem? I'm just thinking maybe the temp is too high since he's always in a hideaway or water bowl...unless food is present. I have 3 thermometers in there. When I tried to go cooler he looked ill. Would barely move.
I'm really looking forward to summer. I live in south louisiana and I know he will absolutely live it.

Love no live. Dang Autocorrect;)

No, his hides aren't dark. It may appear that way in the pic though. He's always getting super messy in the new substrate. My husband jokes that Tony needs a job because trying to get this habitat straight has costed a small fortune lol

What part of Louisiana are you in? I'm in Metairie (New Orleans)

Cozl86

I'm from DeRidder, LA. It's about 45 minutes north of Lake Charles. I'm fining that there is a small community of tort owners here. What part of LA are you from?

tigerRNmeg

I'm actually from New Orleans, but moved to Ville Platte 2 years ago lol. Huge change;)

As of today, I noticed his skin on his head/face looks very dark. Could it be from too much UVB or perhaps his new substrate? He looks healthy but his face is very "tan!" Thoughts??? In the meantime, I shut off the Powersun bulb and put on just a UVA this afternoon.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Iron man was a good movie, Robert Downey Jr is a perfect actor for the role, but his character was a bit off. "Pepper" is a weird asset, but she changes the story line and impacts the plot. Overall its a good movie, that gets better and better as the ideas grow.

;);):p:D

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
tigerRNmeg said:
As of today, I noticed his skin on his head/face looks very dark. Could it be from too much UVB or perhaps his new substrate? He looks healthy but his face is very "tan!" Thoughts??? In the meantime, I shut off the Powersun bulb and put on just a UVA this afternoon.

It could be getting stained from the substrate. It will go away. I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
If you've got him on coconut coir, that's probably what it's from. I've got my two sullies on it, and they got an "instant tan" of sorts [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] but no worries, warm soaks help with it.