Your Tortoise Tool Kit (First Aid and other items)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Odd how if you discuss first aid kits for people human medicine practitioners will jump in with many good ideas, lists, and lines of action to consider, including when to go to an ER or other facility. . . . .yet non of our a arm waving panick the tortoise keeper veterinarians are speaking up.

You treat your kids cuts and scrapes, trim your own nails and maybe an aged adult in your family, yet tortoise nails can only be trimmed by a vet.

Many many things can be done, this is a great thread.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Quick update to this ongoing list! Please feel free to keep making suggestions to add to it!

Medications

Carrot or Sweet Potato Baby Food
Pedialite
Liquid Bird Vitamins
Neosporin (without pain relief)
New-Skin Liquid Band-aid
Saline
Liquid Tears Ointment - (Looking for the recommended medication/solution and/or a brand name example)
Athletes Foot Cream (Clotrimazole)
Nolvasan (Chlorhexadine) - (I found a post from @maggie3fan that this should be mixed 20 to 1 with water)
Betadine Solution (Is Nolvasan preferred over this?)
Terramycin Eye Ointment

First Aid

Toothbrush
Tweezers
Scissors
Kwikstop (styptic powder for small wounds that wont stop bleeding, i.e. broken nails) or Cornstarch
Super Glue (for jagged cuts that can't be butterflied)
Syringes for flushing eyes/wounds

Emergency Enclosure Items

Emergency Indoor Lodging Plans/Supplies
Spare MVB
Spare CHE
Spare Timers
Space Heater
Instant Heat Packs
Dry Food Pellets
Extra Substrate

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
In addition to all the great items already listed, here is something not totally physical in nature: have a plan B!

I live in a cold climate - I have a plan B (and C!) to keep my tort warm if we lose power. For me that consists of heat packs and water bottles I can warm up. And a generator!

Are you in a climate that has hurricanes/blizzards/earth quakes/tornadoes? Make a plan B and C for alternative care and emergency evacuation!

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
In addition to all the great items already listed, here is something not totally physical in nature: have a plan B!

I live in a cold climate - I have a plan B (and C!) to keep my tort warm if we lose power. For me that consists of heat packs and water bottles I can warm up. And a generator!

Are you in a climate that has hurricanes/blizzards/earth quakes/tornadoes? Make a plan B and C for alternative care and emergency evacuation!

This is awesome, thank you! I hadn't thought about how I would transport my baby at all, especially in the dead of winter when it's 10 below--if we had to leave the house unexpectedly or make an emergency vet trip I'd be hard pressed to figure out how to do it quickly and safely.

Adding this one to the top of my list :<3: