Your Tort's emotional life

Alex77

Hi! I haven't posted in a while so a reintroduction may be in order: I got a baby Greek tort named Gaia from a pet shop 8 months ago. I soon joined this forum because she was ill and needed help. Now, she's doing great... thanks in part to this forum's advice :<3:

She's doing so great, in fact, that I've started to contemplate what my little friend's inner life might be like. she has done some stuff that, to me, seems more dog-like than reptilian. For instance, she discriminates between my guests: when a guy comes round, she's usually indifferent, and with females she's usually more curious. With one female friend, she started pawing at the sides of the enclosure, near to where my friend was standing... and she only calmed down when my friend bent down and started talking to her (in case you're wondering, my friend and I sound nothing alike, and we also look quite different. Gaia had also been fed).

Then there are the holidays: When I've gone a way for a few days, Gaia's reacted very oddly. The first time, I went away for a week and she was despondent for about a week after I returned, despite having had daily visits from a fellow tort owner. The second time, I went away for 4 days, she seemed annoyed when I got back (no pet sitter that time, but she had plenty of water and warmth, and her favorite food was only partly eaten). She had also overturned most of the decorative features in her tank, like she'd had a tantrum :oops:
This past month i was gone for a week, and had a live-in pet sitter (also a tort owner) and Gaia was a bit down when I got back. Now shes perked up and has been "knocking" to be let out of her tank all day, and seems to have insomnia or something. A friend of mine describes her as "moody"(!)

I am sure that most people in this forum are familiar with fending off the misconception that many people seem to have, that torts are "dull" impersonal pets. what are your thoughts and ideas about your tort's emotional life though? And what do you think their bond with humans is all about?

Of course, there are those who say that the bond is all about the food we give them... but I doubt this, from what I've seen. The attention we give them seems to play a role too, and as far as I can tell Gaia likes it for what it is. I've come to believe that torts can be much more "feeling" and observant than some reptiles are (I have owned snakes & lizards in the past). I think it may be in their genes to be that way.
A while back, there was a feature on gopher torts on TV, in which the tort was shown happily sharing its burrow with other, non predator species. I started to wonder if they aren't genetically predisposed to cooperate with other species for indirect benefits as well as obvious ones.

clearly tort emotions are still dramatically different from ours, since they're quite independent critters... but then again, cats are independent as well.

Hmm. Thoughts or speculations, anyone?

Last edited:

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
I know what you mean. I've only had my tortoise for a couple months, and I can verbally call him out of his hide, no promise of food, no conditioned response that I can think of. He also genuinely enjoys having the back of his head gently rubbed, and will abruptly let me know when the "session's" over - so I assume he enjoys it or he wouldn't go for it in the first place. And despite me being his primary care giver, he is very relaxed around my daughter. If I don't bring my hand towards him slowly and so he can totally see it coming, he startles, but NEVER with her! And she's 3 so we are not talking about any sort of superior tort technique on her part!
I feel there is some sort of rudimentary level of like or dislike there. With tortoises being as intelligent as they are, I think it could scientifically be possible that there is some part of their brains that has the capacity for very basic emotionality....maybe?

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
I have only had Sheldon for about 2 months now, so he is
young, but I havent seen "emotions" from him yet. I have seen
that he has a routine and that he puts himself to bed at night
and the lights wake him up in the morning.
We talk to him alot & he doesnt hide inside his shell very much.
Only when he saw his reflection on the side mounted UTH did I
see any "attitude". He bobbed his head & bumped the wall several times. I covered the reflection with plants and he got over his half day distration.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I grew up with an old hermann's and visitors always were amazed how affectionate he was. But there was nothing I couldn't explain with instinctual behaviour or simple learning. :D

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm not sure about the "emotions" of a tortoise. I know that they can learn the routines and can become familiar and less "shy" with certain people. They can be "trained" to a very small extent such as clicker training for vent procedures at zoos. I think that my tortoise likes to have her head scratched gently, or is she just pushing back against the pressure of my finger? It does seem like some days she is more tolerant of handling than others, what causes this? can tortoises be grumpy? and what about that thread about the tortoise and the hippo who seem to be "friends" and what about the more social species of tortoises, The ones that can be kept in groups more easily such as Redfoot or aldabra? Do they seem to have social interactions, friends amongst the group? I would not dismiss the idea of any animal having emotions, maybe not the same as we know it, but they can still be there.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
As a sensitive who can often feel others' emotions, i have no objective proof, but i would have to say that yes, turtles have feelings. Some have loving feelings for their owners.
I sense my little Rorg sometimes feels sad if i leave him alone all day. Even when he first showed up at my place last August, i felt he had deliberately come to be with me, and i got a strong affectionate vibe off him.
A few days ago i had soaked him, and the water and turtle had gotten too cold, so i held him in my cupped hands for like 10 minutes to warm him up. After a few minutes, waves of love were washing over me from him.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm sure they have emotions, like every living thing.
But it's wrong to humanize them. Even if their behaviour seems familiar, the reason can be completely different.
Emotions apply to other animals besides humans so saying that animals have emotions is not humanizing them. emotions are not unique to humans.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Emotions apply to other animals besides humans so saying that animals have emotions is not humanizing them. emotions are not unique to humans.
Of course, but it's wrong to assume that a tortoise shows emotions the same way as a human.
e.g. When your tortoise follows you everywhere, this does not necessarily mean that it loves you.

Alex77

I'm impressed that so many of you have replied-nice to know I'm not the only one who's interested in this bizarre topic, haha.

I agree with the posters who are saying that, just because some of us notice that our torts seem to have emotional reactions (rather than purely pragmatic ones), it doesn't mean that we are necessarily "humanizing" them. Lots of animals have emotional reactions (we don't have any exclusive claim to that reaction, as humans). But also, part of the joy of owning any pet is about learning what makes it tick on all levels. I'm just curious to see what other people think drives their torts actions, above and beyond the obvious & mundane physical stimuli (like food and shelter). My tort also loves being petted (up to a point) and the fact that she favors certain people over others, regardless of what treats they offer, suggests a definite emotional component to her actions. I just wish I could fathom what makes her tick I guess. And alot of other tort owners wonder the same thing, it seems!

Delilah1623

Sometimes it would be great if they could talk and then we would know what they are thinking. But there are also times I'm very glad I don't know :) and this goes for every animal I have ever had or will have
I used to have a boyfriend that talked. I much prefer things that don't. That's why my dogs are still allowed in my house.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It is all too easy to ascribe motive to actions and behaviors, to find a satisfying narrative, and still be mistaken. It's helpful to keep an open mind to see if there are other possible explanations. I've discovered in retrospect that I misinterpreted a number of things over the years.

Emotions? Maybe, sure, why not? I doubt that focus provides a useful guide to their care, though.

Alex77

It is all too easy to ascribe motive to actions and behaviors, to find a satisfying narrative, and still be mistaken. It's helpful to keep an open mind to see if there are other possible explanations. I've discovered in retrospect that I misinterpreted a number of things over the years.

Emotions? Maybe, sure, why not? I doubt that focus provides a useful guide to their care, though.

Agree: expecting a pet's feelings to act as a useful guide to their care isn't clever... but then, I wasn't suggesting that it was. I just started this thread because I wanted to know if other people were wondering the same things about their torts and what their experiences were in this realm.

It would be interesting to hear more about people's experiences actually and not just their view on whether they believe reptiles can feel or not.

This is not such a cut and dried subject, sure, but does that mean it shouldn't be explored? Personally, I find that such musings offer a welcome relief from the rather mechanical, day to day efforts I make to care for my pet. But They're not meant to replace that care...

Well, that was an exhaustive reply, haha... but I would like to be clear where I stand, just in case there are any doubts :)

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Just because an animal is friendly, affectionate, or happy, is no guarantee it is in good health or properly cared for. Even dying dogs can be affectionate.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
My tort has definitely warmed up to me in the two years I've had him. He's a leopard and was very shy when i took over his care at a year and a half old. Mostly he looks to me for food and i can tell because his actions are.... Urgent. He moves quicker and has that look in his eye. He paces from food dish to hand. I can touch his head and legs and he doesn't care. Kinda like, "do whatever you want, just fill the dish" Other times he slowly approaches my hand.... One step at a time. When he gets in front of it he stops and closes his eyes. He lets me touch him but keeps his eyes closed. I move very slowly and talk quietly to him. He has no problem approaching me for food but for whatever other reason he has to interact with me, it has taken awhile to get this far.