Your Views on This 'New' Substrate, Please?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
El Sobrante, CA.
Looking at the material, I personally would avoid it, I would be worried about ingestion and impaction. as mentioned by @Tom above (That mixture also looks like it has sand in it.) , it looks like it has sand in it. Stick to the Coir, or Orchid Bark

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
Looking at the material, I personally would avoid it, I would be worried about ingestion and impaction. as mentioned by @Tom above (That mixture also looks like it has sand in it.) , it looks like it has sand in it. Stick to the Coir, or Orchid Bark
While we are at it. How often or by what metric do you guys decide when to change the bedding material.

Humbug & Maz

Chesterfield UK
While we are at it. How often or by what metric do you guys decide when to change the bedding material.
I feel the manufacturer's suggestion of changing substrate every 2 - 3 weeks is excessive and money making! I looked things up on this brilliant forum and many suggest changing it way less often as long as long as you clean up every day. I use 12 litres for my tortoise table. I am sure the experts will be more up on this than me and I guess it depends on what size area you are talking about, but just my thoughts as changing 10-12 litres every 2 or 3 weeks seems way too much in my opinion.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never changed my substrate unless I was changing to something else. If you spot clean it should not need changing. Maybe if you have a few torts in one enclosure you may want to change it if it starts to smell like pee. Otherwise it's not needed.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I changed my setup about 8 months ago, and at this point have NO reason to change out the bark. As my Seymour poop's, I pick out the poop and any Bark associated with it, and put it in the compost. My bark looks new and has NO discernible odor to it. So, I'll be holding off for at least another 4 months, and make a decision then, then 6 months after that. I already have the bark here to replace the bark in his enclosure now when I'm ready to replace. Just my opinion. and OH, he always seems to PEE in his food dish, hum, is he trying to give me a sign...??

Humbug & Maz

Chesterfield UK
I just want to thank everyone for your advice and give an update. I LOVE learning from this wonderful forum! Humbug now has 24 litres of pure orchid bark, plenty of depth to dig. The humidity is perfect as are the temps and the only thing I now need to buy on @Tom 's suggestion is a solarmeter to check the UVB and have that next on my list. Pricey but obviously well worth the money. That awful sand/limestone substrate the reptile shops sell ought to be banned and I had no idea how bad it is until reading the advice on here! I am having a larger table made by a friend next year as well as a big, safe outdoor enclosure come Spring but for now he is very comfortable and very much loved. Humbug really has brought so much joy to our household, is very tame and loves a chin scratch. A very content little tortoise and I really appreciate all the help :)

Attachments

• oct21c.jpg
    oct21c.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 10
  • oct21b.jpg
    oct21b.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 10
  • oct21a.jpg
    oct21a.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Carapace Caretaker

New York
Hi guys. On the advice of this forum I need to change my substrate in my 2 year old Hermann tortoise's indoor home and I know orchid bark and coco coir is recommended but I have just seen this "new" substrate offered for sale at the place I bought my tortoise-friendly indoor plants from and wondered what you think as it contains 50% coir and 50% "tortoise friendly" top soil. I know many advise against top soil but wondered what you think of this? https://www.tortoisehut.co.uk/product-page/coir-soil-mix
Thank you!
I agree - I would use it

Humbug & Maz

Chesterfield UK
I didn't use it in the end as didn't feel confident about any type of top soil but the orchid bark is brilliant and just wanted to update with my post above. I know the tortoise tables sold by pet stores are way too small though and will be getting a much bigger one made soon, plus he has had time out in my large enclosed garden when the weather was ok (under strict supervision) and come Spring he will have an 8 foot by 4 foot safe outdoor enclosure :)

Reactions: Tom

Humbug & Maz

Chesterfield UK
But but but, its recommended for tortoises... ??
OMG if we could only educate the manufacturers!!! I know I need a bigger table and I am on to that but otherwise thanks so much Tom and everyone else for all your help!

Reactions: Tom

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
Yup. I switched to bark myself after following this thread. I'm much happier with it. Thanks Tom.

Also I was literally writing a post right now about one of my Aldabras not pooping when all of a sudden.... PLOP! I never thought I'd be this happy over some crap (literally) before! ????