You're favourite sport

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
What is your favourite sport?
As some of you may know, I am a gymnast. I only got into it a few years ago and immediately fell I love with it. I will never be good enough to compete at a high level but I just do it for fun.

I do tumbling and adore it. I started a couple of years ago at a school club not even being able to do the splits. I never imagined that I would ever be able to do all these handsprings, no handed cartwheels and back tucks. At school, we didn't have a proper coach so I learned from the older gymnasts. Watching them tumble inspired me to be better. I soon learnt to handspring and then to tuck and free cartwheel.

A few months ago, I finally joined a gym club! I love it! It is very physically demanding and I'm not as strong as some of the others (we never did conditioning at school gym) but I manage to keep up. Since joining, I have improved a lot and also become ALOT stronger. :)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466529759.139784.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466529769.578715.jpg

Rue

Canada
I am not athletic...and a lifetime of dealing with exercise induced asthma hasn't exactly encouraged physical activity...but I am drawn to sports such as fencing, martial arts...horseback riding. ..and just walking (hiking...trails...etc.)...

I stretch a lot...barre exercises. ..stuff like that...

I do a lot of stairs too...at work I try not to take the elevator. ..

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I am not athletic...and a lifetime of dealing with exercise induced asthma hasn't exactly encouraged physical activity...but I am drawn to sports such as fencing, martial arts...horseback riding. ..and just walking (hiking...trails...etc.)...

I stretch a lot...barre exercises. ..stuff like that...

I do a lot of stairs too...at work I try not to take the elevator. ..
I HATE elevators and have a fear of them. I'm scared of getting trapped in it.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Having once been trapped in one i can tell you...the fear is real!! It was an elevator in a hotel when I was holidaying in Poland. My two sisters and I got trapped with 3 spanish tourists who held the door for us....worst decision we all made that day!!! It was at about 2am and we were very afraid nobody in the hotel would use the elevator until morning! We were getting close to designating a toilet corner!!! Luckily people heard us shouting. We were between floors and when emergency services opened the door we had to climb/crawl out a 2ft gap at the top....we were out in about 4 hrs!

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Having once been trapped in one i can tell you...the fear is real!! It was an elevator in a hotel when I was holidaying in Poland. My two sisters and I got trapped with 3 spanish tourists who held the door for us....worst decision we all made that day!!! It was at about 2am and we were very afraid nobody in the hotel would use the elevator until morning! We were getting close to designating a toilet corner!!! Luckily people heard us shouting. We were between floors and when emergency services opened the door we had to climb/crawl out a 2ft gap at the top....we were out in about 4 hrs!
that's one of my worst fears.

I was once locked in the toilets at school (for like 2 minutes) and my first instinct was to try and climb out the window (that was much too small) after that failed, we (my friends and I) started banging on the door until they opened it.

Now I can't go in places that there is no way out of (like toilets with doors that go all the way to the top and bottom) I just can't do it. I can't lock doors either (which is very hard in school). It sounds so stupid but I just can't be dealing with locked places.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
hockey by far my favorite sport i don't have a favorite team i like just watching the games.

lol we have a old library here that was turned into part of the police station well when it was still the library me and my older brother got stuck in the elevator for 2 hours it was our fault tho we were going up and down up and down and started jumping in the elevator

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
When I was your age @spudthetortoise I was a kayaker. I competed in slalom and was pretty good (North Yorkshire schools champion no less) reaching the top end of UK national division 2 for ladies while I was at university.

I moved down south and white water became hard to get to... and then a back operation ... so my kayaking days are over now.

I enjoy swimming now and go to the gym to stay fit.

I love to watch lots of sports, but especially tennis and rugby union.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
that's one of my worst fears.

I was once locked in the toilets at school (for like 2 minutes) and my first instinct was to try and climb out the window (that was much too small) after that failed, we (my friends and I) started banging on the door until they opened it.

Now I can't go in places that there is no way out of (like toilets with doors that go all the way to the top and bottom) I just can't do it. I can't lock doors either (which is very hard in school). It sounds so stupid but I just can't be dealing with locked places.

Thats rough! Kids are cruel.... i should know i teach them.....im thankful that i don't teach teens!

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
At your age @spudthetortoise i played basketball, did swimming and played Gaelic football (its our national sport here in Ireland...its not like soccer..you use your hands and feet)
Nowadays i dont play any team sports but i walk,trek, hike and swim...

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Lol...I shouldn't laugh...but that part is funny...:D
I wish I was late to lessons.... It would have been the best excuse.

The best part was, when they opened it, they said "why were you in there?" And we replied "we were going to the toilet" then they asked us how we got it and said that the door was definitely locked all lunch and that there was no one in there. They didn't apologise and and still carried on saying that it was locked all lunch. I couldn't believe it. I mean, what did she think we did; locked the door on the other side by ourselves? Yep, that totally happened.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
It wasn't the kids who locked me in... It was the teachers lol. They locked the whole block of toilets without checking because lessons were about to start
Ah i see...it was teachers like me to blame then!! I can't say I've ever locked a child in school. I did lock a pair of handcuffs on a child as part of a school history re-enactment for a school film and proceeded to break the key...took longer than expected to get them off! I dont think he was too traumatised!! We left the camera rolling to catch the attempts at taking them off. Should make for good bloopers!