Youtube owner needs advice STAT

DARKFIRE007

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham Alabama
This owner is breaking literally every rule in the care sheet minus lighting and I am not sure THAT is being done properly. I left the appropriate links and information for her...but just LOOK at this, it is a painful minute long video.

Help me assault the comment section...she needs help before BOTH torts wind up dead. She even calls them turtles...

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Best you can do is kindly tell her what is wrong and to check this forum out for proper care.

I did, I left the care sheet and beginner mistake links along with some wisdom. I just think it will be absorbed better if it doesn't just come from one person.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
I backed you up. Tried my best to sound strict but not rude lol, hopefully the person doesn't just ignore our comments.

Thanks. And yea I tried to sound urgent about it without coming off as too much of a douche about it. I hope she listens as well, that tank can't be bigger than a 30 gallon IF that...not suitable for one much less two torts. Not to mention one of them looks like a large female.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
That tears it...I am done clicking tort videos on youtube. My effin fingers hurt from typing to these people. It is SAD how many people are using 2x2 enclosures with 50% sand and even pellets. I mean frustration doesn't say it...they aren't bad people, they just have the wrong information. :mad:

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
That tears it...I am done clicking tort videos on youtube. My effin fingers hurt from typing to these people. It is SAD how many people are using 2x2 enclosures with 50% sand and even pellets. I mean frustration doesn't say it...they aren't bad people, they just have the wrong information. :mad:

Yeah, I don’t even look up the word tortoise anymore. I have yet to see one person doing it right.

EdMurphy

Minnesota
Before you all give up on trying to help the people that need it the most I think you need to work on your approach when advising these folks. If you come across as attacking them and right out of the gate telling them everything they are doing is wrong, and all their lives are all going end at any minute because they are the worst things to ever happen to these creatures they are going to shut you down like you belong to PETA, and thats not going to be much help. Start small and encourage the most important changes first and get some dialogue going with these people. Not everything she is doing wrong (yes, it is everything) is going to harm those "turtles" over night. Focus on the ones that will and show them where they can learn more.
Just my .02

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Before you all give up on trying to help the people that need it the most I think you need to work on your approach when advising these folks. If you come across as attacking them and right out of the gate telling them everything they are doing is wrong, and all their lives are all going end at any minute because they are the worst things to ever happen to these creatures they are going to shut you down like you belong to PETA, and thats not going to be much help. Start small and encourage the most important changes first and get some dialogue going with these people. Not everything she is doing wrong (yes, it is everything) is going to harm those "turtles" over night. Focus on the ones that will and show them where they can learn more.
Just my .02

You see the life threatening conditions they were in, was I nice about it and approaching it as you suggest? No. There was urgency in my post (did you even read it?) but I was not overly aggressive and I left the proper information links...per the OP's request I might add.

It seems to be a double standard to me...if this were a puppy in horrid conditions and you suggested that? You would be stoned in the street. I will not base my reaction to bad conditions unintentional or not based on species. I try to only attack when they get the right information and ignore it, but I will not hand hold someone who is abusing an animal.

I quit hitting tort videos on Youtube shorty after this thread. I typed until I was blue in the face at people breaking EVERY one of the most basic care guidelines.

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Just my .02

Oh...haha, one more thing. PETA? They would string me up by my sack. I have eaten more cows and chickens in my day than I could ever count :)

EdMurphy

Minnesota
You see the life threatening conditions they were in, was I nice about it and approaching it as you suggest? No. There was urgency in my post (did you even read it?) but I was not overly aggressive and I left the proper information links...per the OP's request I might add.

It seems to be a double standard to me...if this were a puppy in horrid conditions and you suggested that? You would be stoned in the street. I will not base my reaction to bad conditions unintentional or not based on species. I try to only attack when they get the right information and ignore it, but I will not hand hold someone who is abusing an animal.

I quit hitting tort videos on Youtube shorty after this thread. I typed until I was blue in the face at people breaking EVERY one of the most basic care guidelines.

You're probably right, imagine the rioting if this had been a puppy.
Don't get me wrong! I know you gave her all the information she needed, but I looked at this as a young person that really needed the hand holding.
She puts this video out there completely oblivious to the fact that she's abusing these creatures, first thing I thought was who the heck put these in her hands without so much as the most basic of care instructions?!
Then I remembered watching a youtube video put on by a pet supply store called zamzows superstore, instruction how to set up for a russian tortoise, it really wasn't much different than what she had. so I figured because the aquarium still had the decal on it that some pet store sold this kid the BS she has.
The next video in the queue was titled " the 5 best turtles to own" and the first one the guy holds up is a Russian tortoise.
There's so much crap info out there it really is hard to convince people otherwise.
I'm just not happy to think that people like you quit trying to help, you obviously can help people do it right and I feel people like you need to continue putting a voice out there.