Yummy RF treat

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I did some shopping today and needed to pick up some sphagnum moss. I remembered the garden center we go to had dried mealworms in the bird seed section so I grabbed a good sized tub of them for the Boxies and Redfoots. They were definitely a big hit with everyone.

4aab01a3.jpg

0d1b5992.jpg

7cc836fc.jpg

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
can we say grody?!? :p I'll have to try that with my sweeties for a treat!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Yea the dried ones will be less on the grody scale for you than buying lives ones I would think! :p

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
With the redfoots' well being in mind only.. I'm walking on eggs here I realize.. but you would be far better off offering a pinky than mealworms Anja. Mealworms have little or no nutritional value guys.. and I don't know how you could possibly "gut-load" them. I am certainly open to a valid legitimate reference stating otherwise.

It's vital that we stay within the guidelines of high calcium/protein/carbs for redfoot tortoises. Fewer "staple" has proven far better than a vast variety.. for those of us that have been caring for them for upwards of ten years or more. [ Much more cost effect too. ] I know very little about very much.. but maybe G. carbonaria - it always helps to know someone who does.

FWIW...

Terry

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
This was only a treat, they are receiving plenty of protein items. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I take in quite a few turtles and tortoises each year, and most of them come with "stuff." Teeny, tiny plastic carriers, little 5 gallon aquariums, lots of cans of floating turtle pellets and the occasional can of dried meal worms. I don't use any of that stuff. But one day, I was out of food for my hatchling box turtles, so I went out to the garage and picked up a can of dried meal worms. I couldn't believe that they actually ate them. I thought the food had to wiggle in order to entice the little ones to eat, but they actually ate the dried meal worms!!! Something else to use in a pinch!

Yvonne

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Anywhere you look in this search the mealworms protein content is over 50%. Doesnt matter if they are in the US or not, a mealworm is a mealworm. We dont fed them to other reptiles such as geckos, bearded dragons etc just for the heck of it, they do have nutritional value.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I can't speak for the feeding of mealworms to bearded dragons or geckos ( a fairly broad group) but as a breeder of blue-tongue skinks, I consider them almost useless as do other breeders. For the curious, http://bluetongueskinks.net and look at the caresheet. I've taken this info and applied to another omnivirous reptile,my rfs.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Itort said:
I can't speak for the feeding of mealworms to bearded dragons or geckos ( a fairly broad group) but as a breeder of blue-tongue skinks, I consider them almost useless as do other breeders. For the curious, http://bluetongueskinks.net and look at the caresheet. I've taken this info and applied to another omnivirous reptile,my rfs.

The point is Im not using it as a staple in their diet, but when fed it does provide some protein.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Can't even feed your sweeties a rare treat without getting heck, eh Anja! :p Well those pics are fabo and I'm sure they loved them!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I'm trying to point out as an occasional treat fine but I don't want it seen as a staple which some may see it as. It does have a 1 to 25 calcium/phosphorus ratio.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Nutritional value of Yellow Mealworm
After the research, the nutritional value of 1 kilogram yellow mealworm is equal to 40 kilogram Mai Fu, 30 kilograms mixed feed, 150 kilograms green fodders. Feeds each kind of animal with yellow mealworm, the coca fast growth reproduction rate, the enhancement resistance to disease; Feeds the immature animal to be possible to enhance survival rate 95; Feeds egg-producted domesticated fowl to be possible to raise the measure 0.5 time (namely 50) of the egg-production.
Yellow Mealworm is the highest quality feed of each kind of pet and some special birds and beasts and some aquatic products and some precious and special animals, for example, the dog, the cat, the peacock, the pheasant, the Chinese francolin, the family bird, the domestic animal, the loach, the eel, the turtle, the snake, the frog, the toad, the centipede, the spider, the gecko, the pangolin and so on.
Therefore, Yellow Mealworm had been recognized as the treasure house of the animal fodder.

Nutrition target of yellow mealworm
1) thick protein
The thick protein content is 54%--55%
2) crude fat
The crude fat content is 25%--27%
3) amino acid
Every 10 grams dry insect body contain the amino acid 84.8 milligrams.
4) fatty acid
The unsaturated fatty acid and the saturated fatty acid ratio is 0.8--0.9.

Main amino acid content (mg/g)
Aspartic acid 35.37 Threonine 17.70 Serine 19.80 Glutanic acid 57.44 Proline 32.59
Glycine 23.36 Alanin 30.02 Cystine 3.51 Methionine 3.16 Isoleucine 13.32
Leucine 24.76 Tyrosine 26.42 Phenylalanine 7.82 Lysine 24.66 Histidine 13.60
Arginine 23.92 Tryptophan 3.58 Amino-isovaleric acid 32.90

If you want to know more information of this product, please relate us, we will answer for you very quickly.

Company: Shanghai Baoshan Area Huang Fenchong Breeding Farm
I feed all my water turtles dried meal worms once a week in the winter, when "summer bugs" aren't available.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
JustAnja said:
Itort said:

The point is Im not using it as a staple in their diet, but when fed it does provide some protein.

It seems Anja that when I reply to anything you post it becomes a complex issue which is far from my intent. Mealworms are real high in fat and phos. - low in calcium and are quite expensive even as a treat. They do provide some protein and it's good to see not relied on as a staple. I'm not sure what you provide for your redfoots as their animal protein staple.. you know what I encourage.

FWIW - let's all be aware of our reference sources.. their real intent.. and then let's ask ourselves if it's what we should be feeding our beloved pets.

Terry

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Terry you know exactly when *our* issues started and you have made it quite clear with your replies to me as well as other things. Thats OK. Im not going to hash it out here on the forum. I provide my RFs with a variety of protein foods (as well as a large variety of other foods), I dont rely on cat food. Thats my choice, as they are my torts. Yes I do know exactly what you encourage, but I dont personally agree, again my choice. I appreciate your reply, but to state they have *no nutritional value* at all is a little broad I think. As a treat I threw in some mealworms and they loved them so I snapped a few pictures. Bad me.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
JustAnja said:
Terry you know exactly when *our* issues started and you have made it quite clear with your replies to me as well as other things. Thats OK. Im not going to hash it out here on the forum. I provide my RFs with a variety of protein foods (as well as a large variety of other foods), I dont rely on cat food. Thats my choice, as they are my torts. Yes I do know exactly what you encourage, but I dont personally agree, again my choice. I appreciate your reply, but to state they have *no nutritional value* at all is a little broad I think. As a treat I threw in some mealworms and they loved them so I snapped a few pictures. Bad me.

Maybe you should email/call me direct.. because I've honestly been clueless as to what our issues are for some time now Anja. I have no issues with anyone. Where would be the wisdom in that?

*no nutritional value* is saying Romaine lettuce has none "compared to" Hibiscus leaves/flowers.. which is at the top of the list for nutritional value - simple as that.

Redfoot tortoises.. being omni's [ almost carni's ].. will eat most anything. And over-feeding ( the wrong thing.. whatever that is ) IS an issue with herp's in captivity. I do hope everyone is learning that.

Terry

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Sorry Terry I really have no desire to call nor email you after hearing a few things. Lets just agree to disagree, how about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.