Yup, he's a male...

MeganRose

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
So, after working a 12 hr shift and having my car die 2 minutes from home, i go to give my turtles some love and attention and see the only one out is my male ornate Tortuga who is hanging out in the water dish. But, I definitely got the shock of my life since I've never seen this before. My first thought was a some kind of prolapse, but after doing research, it seems like its penis fanning. Has anyone experienced this before?

MeganRose

Colorado
yeah, lovely doesn't even begin to describe it. I've always always have had female pets (dogs, cats, birds, turtles, etc) up until I got Tortuga and now I see why I prefer having females, lol.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Has anyone experienced this before?
Have a search through TFO and you will see people recovering from shock quite regularly! :D

There's no doubt when a male reveals himself - a once seen, never forgotten experience!

Occasionally, the penis fails to retract properly. It's not common, but if that happens see a vet.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hahah! Too funny!
Their .... "instrument" looks unlike anything I've seen before (and I've... seen a lot!) guess not being inside reptile world has kept me in my blissful ignorance all those years. There was a post here on TFO somewhere about this with pics of the monitor lizard's "instruments". Omg! Those looked like some weapons or torture tools or scifi outer space thing